New Lounger
    Thanks

Embedded picture placeholders

A few weeks ago I asked why I couldn't see embedded images (.gif and .jpg) in HTML emails I received using Outlook 97 (Build Number 8.04.5616) - all I see are the picture place-holders (white rectangles with a smaller rectangle and red cross inside the larger rectangle. I invariably read all my emails off-line. Dr. X kindly responded and commented that senders of such emails should expect some recipients to read their emails off-line and take appropriate action to allow them to do this. However, I note that even when I read the emails on-line, I still do not see the embedded images. I have asked (JustFlight.com) about this and from what they say, the problem may be specific to me as other users are not having this problem. They said, quote: "It is most likely that I may have an original version of Outlook 97 without any service packs - this had loads of problems." Does this sound feasible? If so, I wouldn't mind updating from the MS web-site (I use Office 97 and have got the 2a and 2b Service Packs installed.) What I don't want to do is cripple my version of Outlook so I can't receive the mail attachments I want! Any suggestions?

All comments will be gratefully received.

HLS

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Embedded picture placeholders

outlook 97 doesn't support html - if you are getting the errors when you open the html attachment in a browser, read the source code. check the path for the images - is it broken?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Embedded picture placeholders

Hi MaryJ, Thanks for your earlier reply; in order to try and clarify things (for me, at least!) I have included a Word 97 document as an attachment which has some screen capture shots in it. I took these at various stages to show what I mean. I hope that this is satisfactory (and allowed under the forum 'rules' - if not, please disregard this query!

HLS
    Attached Files Attached Files