4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Help - I lost my password for my template

I designed a form in MS Word 97 and I plassed a password on it. That's right..... I forgot my password. Does anyone know of a Utility that will pull out my password or resit it.

BAM

Re: Help - I lost my password for my template

Hi David,

You can go to Insert/File and insert your template to recover the main content.

Note that you may have to change the Page Setup and Header/Footer information since these settings and information will not be inserted.

You will also lose those items such as AutoText, Custom toolbars, Macros, and Styles but they can be copied to the new template via the Organizer. (Tools/Templates and Add-Ins)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here's one source to recover docs where password has been forgotten

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I live in dread of this.

So now I maintain a document "Paswords.doc" on my hard drive. Yes, I print it out whenever i make a change.

It holds a two-column table with the name of the template in the first column, then name of the password in the second. I use the same table for on-line passwords, such as my ISP, Woody's Lounge etc.

Thanks

Me too, although I think my file is named something like "1995 inventory backup.txt."[img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Word's passwords, even in Word 2000 can be broken, but it takes time and resources. The best program that I've heard of will break a password in 70 days (max) of continuous running on a PII 333. (30 days average). If you devote more computers to the task, you can shorten this up considerably.
    If, on the other hand, you use something like PGP to encrypt your stuff maybe NSA can help you out but I wouldn't count on it. They say they can't. (The difference is PGP uses a 120-bit key while Word uses a 40-bit key - or something like that.) Anyway, the moral is -- don't lose your password -- or keep a copy that isn't password protected where you can find it.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> "1995 inventory backup.txt.

I lied! Now we know YOUR password file, but mine is hidden (grin!)

I'm the only user here. Security on site is not my problem. If ever I used a name OTHER than Passwords.doc I'd shoot myself in the foot by erasing it in one of my periodic cleanups.

I've read/heard that eleven characters or more is a good bet to thwart most people. After that you have the satisfaction of knowing that it will take them longer to crack the template password than it would to write the dran code.