Thread: TurboTax 2002

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

TurboTax 2002

Confirming something DaveA said in another thread some time ago, I received my copy yesterday. The product now requires ACTIVATION via the internet or phone. Support on their web site says:
    <hr>Product Activation is designed to help reduce unlicensed use of TurboTax software. It ties a single copy (a license is tied to a personal computer, not a copy of the software) of TurboTax to a single PC. Product Activation is completely anonymous; no personal data is collected or transmitted to Intuit. Product activation does not prevent TurboTax customers from preparing tax returns for themselves and their family members or from giving the CD to someone else who can then purchase their own product license. TurboTax customers can prepare their return from more than one computer but will only be able to activate, print or e-file their tax return from a single PC.<hr>
    Further, the Quick Start Guide that comes with the product says that the second or succeeding computers cannot VIEW FORMS and must create a tax return in "trial" mode, using the "interview" process. Evidently to see the individual forms or print the return, the file would have to be on the initial computer, upon which the activation was done. FYI.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TurboTax 2002

I know I'm probably the earliest-bird in the U.S. but I was working on my taxes over the weekend with TurboTax 2002. Today, I did something dumb (what else is new!). I ran my periodic scan with SpyBot and it came up with four elements that I let it remove. One of 'em was CDILLA which has gotten a bit of negative press about being spyware, vehemently disclaimed by folks from Intuit, of course. In the short time since I had read those things, I FORGOT the keyword. Obviously after cleaning CDILLA out, TurboTax 2002 would not run! To their credit, Intuit's on-line activation immediately rectified my mistake, without question. So, I guess if you want TurboTax (rather than "some other" product), be careful when you run YOUR spyware detective software.