5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Folders on desktop (WIN XP PRO)

Suddenly the folders I have on my desktop are not opening properly. When I double left click on them, the SEARCH window opens rather than opening the folder. I can open them by RIGHT CLICKING and selecting OPEN. What got changed?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Folders on desktop (WIN XP PRO)

Trebor--
    Others can probably articulate why this happens, but I believe this will nail your problem and fix it. When you get to the site, go over to the left and click on Win XP Fixes:

Go to the right list of fixes, and click on "Search/Command Prompt Opens When Double Clicking a Folder, the click on the hyperlink to Doug Knox's VBS, and you'll be fixed I believe.

defrag

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Defrag,

Amazing!!!!!! How do you find these sites?

I keep a shortcut to this kind of site on my Desktop when they are posted. The problem comes in down the road when I try to remember what they are for. Hahaha!!!

Good job.
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

AMEN to that! All the "education" in the world like The Lounge and all the tips, tricks and fixes sites, don't help me worth a dang when I encounter a problem and can't remember where in tarnation I saw the fix. I wish sometimes that there was a "master catalogue in the sky" for keeping track. As a matter of fact, one time years ago, I started to create a database of tips and tricks that I learned over time, and it was so hard to keep the thing up to date that I gave up. Thank goodness for the COLLECTIVE memories of people like here on The Lounge, where someone is bound to remember.....

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

hlewton, You just accumulate them over time. Try these to for some good lists of sites: http://www.broomeman.com/support/xp.html &
    http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/favor.../kbasewinxp.htm. I'm sure there are others but those will give you lots of places to look for information & help.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Al,

I once tried keeping all tips, etc. but my house got too small!!!!!!!!!
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Thanks. I have a couple other sites of yours that you have posted in some other threads. They are great sites.

Thanks again.
    H Lewton

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hlewton--
    I suspect there are people that have amazing stashes of sites and even have figured out a search engine that would "extract them,"--I go to different search engines and throw in variations on phrases of Win XP, IE, OE, Word, Office or whatever. Googling for Windows XP works well--because many of the sites link you to others. I don't have a lot of boolean logic/search training--but there are places on the web for that.

Another rich source of tips are the so-called Microsoft MVP's--you can just google for them or put in a search on microsoft.com--I have some favorites--I'm sure Joe, Al and a number of people do.

A third good source of some very good sites is to go to the different (25 to date) XP MSN newsgroups and just scroll down and click on the answers to a posed question--there are some great sites there. People send me sites all the time and a lot of them are great and off the beaten path.

Kelly Theriot--Joe has linked to hers a few times-has about 10 divisions to her site-and Doug Knox and a number of others who go all over the 25 MSN XP newsgroups have made a number of VB script fixes and regedits and numbered them so that they can just link and refer to # so and so that can be downloaded to fix a problem in XP.

I have put some of my favorite tweak sites on the lounge--I'll find it and put up a few later on this thread. Also don't underestimate Tech TV's sites--they are a rich source for software and hardware and download sites of all kinds and they have begun master archiving and organizing their hyperlinks.

defrag

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Defrag,

I have and will keep creating shortcuts to all these sites because I find them very useful.

Thanks to you and all for all the knowledge you share.
    H Lewton