Thread: Back in Time

Lounger
    Thanks

Back in Time

Hi,

I have what I think is a pretty simple question. I just loaded a program and removed it but it left some files on my computer and changed a few things around.

What I would like to do is to restore my computer to the way it was this morning. I know it can be done but I don't remember how, could I please get some help?

windows 98se

Thanks Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Back in Time

Unless you backed everything up before you installed the new program, I fear you might me out of luck. Closest thing you can do is to do the Control Panel/Add Remove Programs scenario, or if the program has an uninstall program, you might try it. Some programs will not uninstall the directory that they are installed in, so you might check in Program Files for a directory containing the program name you installed, and then uninstall that.

Unlike Win Me and up, 98 does not have a restore checkpoint feature. What program is it?

Lounger
    Thanks

I may be wrong but I am almost sure that when I had my computer built and we were working out a few driver bugs that the technician stopped on a screen before windows opened all the way up and picked a date and time of a recent boot and everything went back to those settings.

????????

Thanks Bill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You didn't answer Mike's question about which program you removed. But he's right about what he suggested you do. If you "properly" uninstall a program and THEN manually delete its folder, that's usually "99.9%" good and you shouldn't have any reason to be concerned. Unless your technician included some 3rd party restore program, you're out of luck there. Can you ask him if something is installed or look in your Start Menu?

Lounger
    Thanks

HI Mike and Al,

Thanks for your help the program was Quicken and I cleared up any problems that it caused by installing it in a different folder than reccomennded.

If I find out how to do what I was asking I will post it. I will try to contact the technician after Thanksgiving.

Bill

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bill:
    Just a guess, but I suspect that you stopped at a DOS prompt & typed scanreg /restore. Then he picked an earlier registry to restore. This should work to restore your registry, but doesn't mean that every file is back to the way it was.
    Cheers,

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

That's what I saw him do, thanks for your help.

Bill