Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE icon for html files (6.0.2800.1106xpsp1)

The icon for saved web pages (IE6 SP1, installed from XP SP1 CD) has become the non-specific icon, the name of which I don't know - apologies. I have attached a bmp file showing the icon type.
    I have checked in View Files types that the correct icon is associated with html files, and all seems in order.
    The files open correctly in IE when clicked, so the problem is a cosmetic one. Never found the IE icon particularly attractive, but it certainly looks better than the replacement!
    Version 6.0.2800.1106 xps1.020828-1920IC

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE icon for html files (6.0.2800.1106xpsp1)

There are several things to which you could be refering:

1) Files with an .html or .htm extension (most likely)
    2) All Internet Shortcuts (.url files)
    3) Specific Internet Shortcuts, such as those in your Favorites or Links folder.

There is no attached image, so I have to assume you mean the first thing. Plus, if you do attach an image, consider converting it to a .jpg file first.

To modify the icon assigned to .html and .htm files, go to Folder Options (various patways) | File Types tab. Scroll through the list until you find "HTML document". Click the Edit button. Click the Change Icon button. Go to the path towards the "Iexplore.exe" program (e.g., on this computer, it is C:PROGRA~1INTERN~1iexplore.exe). Choose the icon you want.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for speedy and detailed response.
    However, I have performed the procedure exactly as you described on a number of occasions, and despite the correct icon appearing in the file types dialogue box, the icon associated with my saved html documents refuses to change. All other icons are correct and have not changed. Quite mystifying.
    Should I expect the option to apply the change? After the editing procedure, the "apply" button remains greyed out. Is this of any relevance?

Thanks

What operating system are you running?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Does the icon appear correct on the File Types box -- like mine shows above?

If so, then I must suspect one of the following:

1) You are referring to URL's (Internet Shortcuts) and not true HTML files
    2) The file extension ".html" is NOT associated with the File Type "htmlfile" (HTML Document).

Do me a favor. Go to your Desktop and right-click anywhere. Select New > Text File. Name this file "junk.html". Windows will complain -- say OK. Do the exact same thing, but this time create a new file named "junk.htm" (NO terminal "L"). Do it a third time, but name the file "junk.url". Let me know what you find.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Running XP SP1 ( installed from CD). I applied the most recent security fix- not sure whether the timing of the change in icon is related to that.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I can now see that I have been way off track. Only way to learn is to display one's ignorance and receive help!
    The junk.html and junk.htm files are associated with the non-specific icon, and the junk.url has the internet shortcut icon. So of course I should have been chasing internet shortcuts.
    In Folder Options> File Types, the correct icon in shown under 'extensions' for for 'URL' and and the file type is 'internet shortcut.'
    'Opens with Shell Doc Object and Contr
    Files with extension URL are of type Internet Shortcut'
    In the edit file type box, the correct icon is associated with internet shortcuts.
    However the internet shortcut icons remain of the incorrect type wherever I have saved web pages.
    Thank you for persisting.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

OK, I am not sure I am following. Can you verify:

1) Are your .htm and .html extension files correctly associated with the "little blue e" icon, and is that what you want?

2) Are your .url extension 'files' (actually shortcuts) also associated with the "little blue e" icon, and is that what you want?

Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I do want url (internet shortcuts), and htm and html files associated with the little blue "e" icon as they were before this recent spontaneous change.
    In Folder Options, File Types, the icon is correct for all three of these file types. However this is not so on the desktop and in all files and folders where I have saved web pages -all are showing the generic icon (attached jpeg image).
    I do realise that this is not a functional problem, as all these files open IE normally when the icon is clicked. It is purely a cosmetic anomaly which I would like to correct!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dianne:
    1. Click an empty spot on the taskbar & press F3.
    2. Make sure that the look in box is your primary hard drive & that "include subfolders" is ticked.
    3. Type
    shelliconcache
    in the "named" box & search.
    4. Delete it.
    5. Reboot.

If that doesn't fix it, you may have to edit the registry. If your comfortable doing so:
    Run Regedit
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionexplorer
    Create a new string called Max Cached Icons
    Give it a value of 4096, or 8192.

Cheers,

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Phil brings up an excellent point -- perhaps your Icon Cache is 'over taxed'. However, I must say, that in my experience this is rarely a single-entity icon problem. Typically many different icons are affected and the 'affliction' is variable -- you don't know when it when happen next.

If you consistently have a problem with the icon associated with ONE file extension, then the Icon Cache is not likely responsible. Could be, but I always go with the odds...

You said:

"In Folder Options, File Types, the icon is correct for all three of these file types. However this is not so on the desktop and in all files and folders where I have saved web pages -all are showing the generic icon (attached jpeg image)."

Call me dense or slow, but I still do not understand EXACTLY which file types are causing the problem. Can you show me an image of the following:

1) an .html file icon
    2) an .htm file icon
    3) a .url file (shortcut) icon
    4) a file with the generic icon you show above -- that displays the file extension.
    --- ideally, I would like to see the Properties box of a file with that generic icon.

I cannot figure out what exactly needs to be fixed... Sorry, I am really trying.

Are you saying the Folder Options dialog box is displaying the WRONG icon?? This would be distinctly rare... but anything is possible in Windows.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

All icons in Folder Options are correct, and in particular, internet shortcuts, htm and html files all have the little blue "e" icon, as usual.
    I did change the maximum icon cache (despite all other icons being correct) and the problem was uncorrected.
    I have attached the currect icons associated with internet shortcuts (correct), htm and html files.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Attached htm icon

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

And html.................

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. OK, do me another quick favor. Rename ONE of those '.htm' files to ".html" -- that's right -- simply add the terminal "L". From the view I see, your "HTML" file still lacks the L at the end...

The focus is off, but are those two icons the same or different??

And Lastly, do you happen to know the source of that icon? I don't see it in Shell32.dll or Iexplore.exe???

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast