Lounger
    Thanks

&T in File / Page Setup (2000)

If you have a page open and then go to File, then Page Setup you will see a Header and Footer field that are used when printing the page you are on. They contain &T and &P for Title and Page number I believe. I have both of these but when I go to File / Print I get a page number in the footer but nothing in the page header. Just where are the values assigned to &T get set? How do I get this &T to print on my printed page?

Thanks

Re: &T in File / Page Setup (2000)

My guess would be that &T refers to the <TITLE> tag in the web page. In FP, inspect the Page Properties dialog (or the HTML pane) and see if there is a Title there. If there is, perhaps the position on the printed page is in the printer's "unprintable area"... what are your margin settings? Does anything else print in the header, such as the URL or date?

Lounger
    Thanks

There is a title in the page properties but it isn't printing. The margins on the File / Page Setup dialog box showed 0.5 for top and bottom. I expanded the top to 1 but that didn't get any title to appear. The Margins tab on the Page Properties dialog has a top margin that was set to 0 pixels. I changed it to 60 pixels and then to 100 pixels but it still didn't cause anything to print. That dialog doesn't allow specifying margins in inches.
    I am getting a page number at the bottom of the printed page but absolutely nothing at the top before the html text itself is printed.

Thanks

If you create a brand new blank page and preview it, does it show "New Page 1" in the heading? If so, perhaps there is something unusual about the page you are trying to print...

What's your version number in Help|About...? I have 4.0.2.4426, and to the left of the box with my name in it is SR-1.

Lounger
    Thanks

My About Front Page says 4.0.2.3821 and next to my name is SR-1. I don't have time to try the new page idea. It will have to wait until Monday. I don't believe I have an option of upgrading my version to match yours since I am in a corporate environment where such things are tightly controlled. I'll see what I can find out though. The< title> is nothing unusual. Its about 50 or 60 text characters long.
    By the way is there any reference in FP help about &T and &P? I cannot find anything about them there. Granted its somewhat intuitive but it would be nice if it were documented. Also there might be other '&' variables with other meanings but with no documentation who would know?

Lounger
    Thanks

Well I tried your suggestion and creating a new HTML page shows "New Page 1" at the top and when its printed it shows as the heading there too. But this doesn't explain to me what is unusual about my page making the title not show in the header when its printed. The title is 34 characters long which I wouldn't consider to be excessive. Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks

Does your title show at the top of IE when viewed?

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes it does.

These little parameters have got to be the world's best kept secret. There appears to be absolutely nothing in FrontPage Help about them. A friend told me they are universal to Windows and had me look at Notepad help for an explanation. Well Notepad help sure enough has codes like these documented but it says &T is for time. I have already proven that &T means Title in FrontPage which leads me to believe that while the codes may be common across Windows applications their meaning isn't common. But all of this says nothing about why I don't get the value in &T in my printed header regardless of what &T actually means.

Thanks

All the searching I have done has resulted in nothing but other folk saying they don't believe any other parameters apply. It's trying to prove a negative, and unless there is something definitive from Microsoft someplace, I guess we will never know for sure.

Can you try making a copy of the page (renamed to something else) and confirm that it still does not print out? Then can you delete all content between the body tags and try again.
    If it still won't print, I think it may be time to post the complete header here.