5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Query Criteria Tip

Some of the databases I work with include "text" fields that contain only numbers -- an old guru once taught me that everything is "text" unless you need to perform mathematical calculations on it. These numbers are zero-filled, so that when sorted they will be listed in the correct order ("0004" before "0031", instead of "31" before "4"). When it became necessary to build criteria on these fields into queries, the prompts would read something like 'What Product? "0000"'. This would tell the user that the number had to be entered including leading zeroes.

An alternative to this would be to enter the following in the criteria field:

<font color=blue>Format([What Product?],"0000")</font color=blue> [img]/w3timages/icons/yep.gif[/img]

This allows the user to enter "4" at the prompt, and have Access interpret it as "0004" and return the correct records. Users no longer have to be concerned with whether the "number" is actually a "text" item, or if the query results come back incorrect because the leading zeroes were incorrectly input.

(This works for Access 2000; I don't know if this would be workable in previous versions of Access.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Query Criteria Tip

The other way to do it is to create a calculated field in the query grid that converts the text "number" to a real number so that when the user enters a 4, that will be compared to an expression like Val([ProductNumber]).
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Query Criteria Tip

Now this relates exactly to my situation; I'm trying to sum a text field. Somehow I just couldn't get the query to provide a "number" equivalent to the actual text.