Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Watermark - DRAFT

I'm using Office (WORD)2000 and I need to be able to print a DRAFT watermark behind the text on each page of a document. Can someone direct me to userfriendly instructions or perhaps someone has already written a Macro to do it?

Thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Watermark - DRAFT

Hi Dave,

As it happens you are in luck as this very matter arose earlier today in the VB/VBA forum.

The following code will insert a header that applies the word DRAFT behind the text on each page.

You can change the word in the macro if you want something else. It uses the Arial Black font which you should have on your system.

It is something to get you started anyway. You can copy and paste or amend it as you require.

Sub DraftStamp()

If ActiveWindow.View.SplitSpecial <> wdPaneNone Then
    ActiveWindow.Panes(2).Close
    End If
    If ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Type = wdNormalView Or ActiveWindow. _
    ActivePane.View.Type = wdOutlineView Or ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Type _
    = wdMasterView Then
    ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Type = wdPageView
    End If
    ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.SeekView = wdSeekCurrentPageHeader
    Selection.HeaderFooter.Shapes.AddTextEffect(msoTex tEffect13, "D R A F T", _
    "Arial Black", 96#, msoFalse, msoFalse, 144.95, 139.1).Select
    Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.ForeColor.RGB = RGB(255, 255, 0)
    Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.Visible = msoTrue
    Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.Solid
    Selection.ShapeRange.Shadow.Visible = msoFalse
    Selection.ShapeRange.IncrementRotation -45#
    Selection.ShapeRange.Align msoAlignCenters, True
    Selection.ShapeRange.Align msoAlignMiddles, True
    ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.SeekView = wdSeekMainDocument

End Sub

Regards,

Andrew C

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Your description leads me to think its just exactly what I need.

I've saved the Macro code as a Word document. Can you tell me what to do next to run it.

Thanks for your patience and assistance.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you want to do it manually, you can do it this way:
    .View, Header and Footer
    .Insert, Picture from file, select the directory and picture to insert
    .Right click on the picture. Select "format object" (or "format picture")
    .Select the "layout" tab
    .Click the "behind text" icon
    .Move/resize the picture to suit.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If you copied and pasted it as it was, you should be able to run it by going Tools|Macro, select Macros and you have a list of macros. The one you want is DraftStamp, assuming you made no changes.

Hope you can follow,

Andrew C

Thanks

This will depend on how you have your headers and footers set up and how many sections you have in your document (as defined by a Word section break). Each section can have up to three different headers and three different footers. There is no limit to the number of sections a document can have. The watermark is usually placed in the header or footer (although it can physically be anywhere on the page, Word thinks of it as being in the header or footer).
    For more on headers and footers:
    See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm>How can I have different headers / footers on different pages?</A> (www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm) for information on how to handle headers and footers.

For something more in depth you may want to look at:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/sections.htm>Sections, Section Breaks, Headers and Footers</A> (www.addbalance.com/usersguide/sections.htm).

For putting a watermark in the header or footer:
    View => Header and Footer...
    Insert => Picture => WordArt
    pick a pattern and type the word DRAFT
    OK
    Right-click on it to format WordArt
    turn up the brightness to between 80% and 95% (so it doesn't drown out text)
    OK your way out. Click on DRAFT and move the picture where you want it (margins are preferable to me).
    Click Close on the Header/Footer toolbar (the word button Close, not the x box)

Instead of WordArt you could insert a textbox with the word DRAFT (perhaps in vertical text) and perhaps with a SAVEDATE field or a PRINTDATE field. See for information on how to handle date fields. For a toolbar that has various date fields including one with a DRAFT WordArt image and SAVEDATE field, download the legal toolbars from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/download/index.htm>my Word download page (www.addbalance.com/word/download/index.htm). This is a self-documenting global template.

Hope this helps,
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew,

Sorry for being so dumb, but MACROS give me a fit. I've cut and pasted the program into a new WORD document named it Draftstamp.doc and another with .dot extension-just in case.

However, I'm not sure what to do next. I tried the toolsoptionsmacros selection, but the macro doesn't show up. I even tried dropping the file into the WORDStart folder, but that didn't work either.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks again for you help.
    -- dave --

Lounger
    Thanks

YES! PERFECT - OUTSTANDING!!!

Andrew,
    It's exactly what I needed. You don't know how much I appreciate your help and patience.

I've used MSWORD since the early DOS versions, but never done anything with MACROs to speak of. Guess I need to get back in the "learning" mode again.

Have a GREAT day.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Creating your first Macro in Word

OK, so you are not familiar with the VB Editor. The following instructions should get the macro into place.

First of all have a copy of the text of the macro available.

Next go Tools|Macro|and select Record New Macro. A Dialog Box should open showing Macro Name, take a note of that name (probably Macro1) and just click on OK. A small toolbar titled Stop Recording should appear on the screen. (you should at least see the Stop..). On that toolbar is a small blue square. Just click on that square. You now have a Macro that does nothing.

Go back to Tools|Macro and select Macros this time. Find the name of the macro you just recorded and select it. Click the Edit Button on the right. You should then see something like Sub Macro1, some green text, and End Sub. Replace all that with the entire text of the macro you want to keep.

You should now have a macro called DraftStamp. To confirm this go back to Word, select Tools|Macro and Macros. Highlight DraftStamp and click on Run.

Hope you can follow that, and if you want to assign the macro to the toolbar, that can be done too.

Andrew

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I'm puzzled about your use of yellow (255,255,0) for the lettering. Wouldn't this allow me to thwart the purpose of the watermark?

My mind is not fixed on right this morning. I'd have opted for Black, but then I suppose that would obliterate the document, whereas Yellow comes out Gray.

In the back of my mind is that Word97 Tools, Options, Compatability "Print Colours As Black on non-colour printers" thing, and how the user might avoid having your DRFAT lettering actually show up on the printer.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Well I use that colour because it does print a nice shade of of grey behind text on most b&w laser printers, (in fact all that I have tried). It is purely a personal choice. I think when somebody wants something like DRAFT or COPY in the background it needs be very visible without actually obliterating the text. To see a real watermark usually requires holding the paper up to the light or whatever, hardly suitable if you want to know whether the document you are reading is a draft or the final product.

Using grey shades sometimes causes them to be too light or too dark. However once the thing is in place it is not too difficult to change it so that your DRFAT (sic) shows up as required.

Hope that explains my yellow fever

Andre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I think once my head cleared I realized what I was trying to say.

A yellow print can be thwarted on a non-colour printer (say one that ignores anything but black), but a gray-like made up of myriads of sparsely-placed black dots can't be thwarted.

It turns out my point had little to do with your post. It was a musing.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Dave,

Hope the following is not too late. I don't think you need VBA for this.

1. view header footer
    2. click on word art on the drawing toolbar. follow the prompts to create "Draft" in whatever format you'd like.
    3. when you're finished in word art and back in Word header footer, copy the word art object to the clipboard
    4. using paste special, paste the clipboard using the picture choice back into the header and footer and position it where you want on the page.
    5. delete the first version (the word art version)
    6. right click the result of #4 and select the Format Picture (last item). Select the tab for picture. Under Image control, click the drop down for color and select watermark. this will adjust the brightness and contrast controls. (you can play with these further if the item is still too dark). You may also have to select the tab for wrapping and select None.
    7. go back to your text

the reason for deleting the version in Word Art is that word's capability for formatting word art (try right clicking it to see in step 3) won't let you adjust the contrast. But when you copy and paste it back as a picture, word doesn't know where it started from so it's treated like any other picture. Now you can adjust the color or the contrast/brightness.

You can use any picture and apply step 6. WordArt gives nice bold text if that's what you want.

Hope this helps.

Fred

BAM

Here is another method that can be used:

- Copy all the lines of the macro between Sub and End Sub
    - Go to Tools/Macro/Macros
    - Provide a name for your macro
    - Click "Create"
    - Paste lines of code that were previously copied

To test the macro, place your cursor within the lines of code and press <F5>.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Andrew's macro worked great and solved my immediate problem. But, your solution gives me a "how to" option to do some other stuff that will also be of benefit.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast