Silver Lounger
    Thanks

XPP's Window Explorer (XPP SR-1)

My CD burner is H: Drive. As long as there is no CD in it H: Drive appears only once on the left side panel of Windows Explorer. If I put a CD (usually a Direct CD formatted CD) in H: drive it then appears twice in the left side panel of Windows Explorer. This doesn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XPP's Window Explorer (XPP SR-1)

I dunno the answer, but have you tried opening Computer Management, then Disk Management to see what it says there? It would be interesting to see what shows up there, if you look first with no disk in the drive and then insert a disk and see if the display changes. I don't know if it's a drive letter assignment problem or what. It could even be brought on by the fact that you have DirectCD installed. Veddy Interesting as Artie was prone to say..... What's even more confusing is that one of the entries says "My Documents."

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Al,

I can clear up the MY Documents dilemma, that is what I named that particular CD because it is a backup of my
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Al,

The first attachment is doing what you asked me to try and there is no CD in the drive. I have to make 2 posts because of the size of the attachments. I had to shrink them so that is why they aren
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Al,

This post has an attachment again of what you asked me to check out only there is a CD in the drive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I also don't see any answers in the graphics, but are you up for a little test? You can always change it back! Put a disk in BOTH the CD and DVD drives and run Disk Management again. Right-click on each one in turn and change the drive letters to something like K: and L: and then reboot the machine. Let's see how Windows Explorer reacts to that. You're not the first one to have a drive letter problem in this area, so we may have yet another SMALL glitch in XP!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Al,

Not sure how to change the drive letters and I don't want to mess anything up like the guy I read about somewhere in the Lounge yesterday. I may try experimenting but I'd rather have this little quirk than screw things up.

I was just experimenting with the attachments and I was just about to post a couple clearer ones but you must have been able to read these.

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Oh, it's no sweat and you can ALWAYS change it back. Nothing will be hurt. Just right click on the CD or DVD and one of the choices will be to Change Drive Letter. If you don't have a disk in the drive, you have to do the right-click on the title thingie on the left. It does help if you reboot after. But I promise you, you won't hurt anything. It may not fix the problem but it's worth a shot.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Al,

I'll give it a try and report back.
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The more I think about what you said about DirectCD, the more I wonder if THAT might be causing the double-listing phenom in Explorer. I'll wait to see what you have to say about changing the drive letters, but it would also be interesting to see if the same thing happens in Explorer if you put a disk in the CD and the burner drive, but make them "commercial" disks of some kind, say a software or music or some kind of disk that is NOT of your making, especially by DirectCD.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Al,

I made the drive L: and it did the same thing.

I then tried your latest suggestion and put CDs not formatted as Direct CDs and it worked as you would expect it to.

Conclusion, I think you
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I'm with you! DirectCD is a nice tool and I think probably what's happening is this. You have a CD and a burner AND when you insert a DirectCD disk, the "system" is treating that physical disk as if it were like a floppy drive, so you get duplicate entries. Small idiosynch to pay for the convenience of DirectCD. I'm glad "we've" both concluded what the situation is.....

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Al,

Yeah, I'm glad too and thanks for all your trouble shooting advise.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Al,

I didn't find anything in searching Roxio's site, which isn't surprising because I never seem to use the correct search criteria. Anywho, I posted a question about seeing the double H: Drives in Windows Explorer. Apparently this is fairly common in Windows XP. Below is the reply I received.

Not a problem I see this quit often with XP XP1.I do believe it is that windows burn program is active in the background and roxio's is the default program you are using.some times hiting refresh under view for the hard drive will list one drive letter. just use the drive letter that does it's thing.
    H Lewton