Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Palm m515 Categories

I have added applications to my Palm device, such as C4 Financial Calculator. I have assigned this app to a category on my Palm but every time I do a synch, the category disappears and the app shows up as "Unfiled." Anyone know if there's a fix for this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Palm m515 Categories

Surprisingly (holiday) I got a message from Palm last night: <blockquote><hr>Albert, this issue is mainly caused due to third-party applications crashing on your Palm handheld. In order to resolve the issue, I suggest that you perform a Soft Reset while the Palm(tm) handheld is placed in the HotSync

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I dunno, Al, I don't think you have to just "live with it." Of course I don't know the exact cause of the problem either but here's what I'm going to suggest.

1. <LI>Delete the application from your Palm.
      <LI>Navigate on your PC to the Program FilesPalm (Handspring etc) directory. Make a backup.
      <LI>In that directory, there is a Backup directory. That contains every palm app and database you've ever had...try moving the contents of this folder elsewhere.
      <LI>Install your app and sync so that the handheld gets it again.
      <LI>Assign your new category to the application on the handheld.
      <LI>Re-sync and see what happens.
    I suspect that there is a setting somewhere that is telling the desktop to overwrite the Palm but it sure isn't an obvious one!
    -Mark

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Another thought Al - how many categories do you have set up already? Although the article at the end of this link isn't exactly the same as what you're dealing with, I think it could be related....and if nothing else it's one more thing to check into.
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Mark, as usual, you stomped that sucker, right on the schnoze! (Is that the way Jimmy Durante woulda spelled it?)

Following instructions from the folks at Palm, I had already made an additional backup of my data, just in case. Performed a soft reset without help, then a hard reset and it still happened. And, the handheld only has six categories on it, including the one I created so I could display just the apps I use.

Well, BINGO, your comment about an obscure setting caused me to take a look and the attachment tells the story! That @#$%& setting said that the Desktop OVERWRITES the Handheld and the only ones I had even paid any attention to were the apps above - never thought about the last one.

Thanks, my friend! Just synch'd OK.....
    Attached Images Attached Images