5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

newsgroups and spam (OE 6.0)

Is it "safe" to post messages to newsgroups using your regular email account and address? I have read that Spammers get email addresses from newsgroup postings.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: newsgroups and spam (OE 6.0)

They can get them from most any place, some sites just make it harder than others.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: newsgroups and spam (OE 6.0)

Trebor--

My experience has been that any email address you use with a newsgroup will get persistent spam and no filter is foolproof. Spam comes especially to any email address that I have ever given to Microsoft Passport--it leaks like a sieve, like everything Microsoft. Any address you give to an MSN newsgroup will be spammed.

Enjoy the newsgroups--the MSN groups have a lot of excellent links, help, information. There are all kinds of programs to give stealth bogus email addresses, but you can just grab any email address from Yahoo, hotmail, or thousands of other sites, call it any name you want, and know that in addition to some contacts from the newsgroup, you will see spam in that inbox. Maybe there is a cleaner way. Don't give them any email address you want left alone or private.

Passport as Much a Joke as the Rest of Palladium and So-Called Trustworthy Computing--Redmond the Quintissential Security Titanic

Microsoft Flashes a New Wallet

Windows Tip: Stop Spam in its Tracks

New Outlook 11 to Give Spammers Boot

defrag