Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

FP2000 Publishing Problem

I'm using FP2000 on a Win98 machine, and I'm having a problem publishing a web. When I try to publish, I get the prompt for the login and password, but after I enter them, I keep getting prompted again and again, as if I have entered an incorrect password. I tried publishing to the same location from another computer and it worked fine. I've tried the "detect and repair" for FP, and I've uninstalled and reinstalled it - still no dice.
    Any suggestions???
    Gary

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: FP2000 Publishing Problem

Try publishing using another FTP program - WSFTP or CuteFTP.

It may be that your virtual server has not be installed correctly.

Regards

Thanks

Can you browse to the published location with Explorer?

Lounger
    Thanks

I can browse to the site with explorer after I published it from another machine.
    I probably could use a FTP program to publish it, but I am using some FrontPage components, and I don't think they'll work correctly if I don't publish directly to the server with FP.
    Gary
    P.S. What is a "virtual server"?

Thanks

Is the published site on your intranet or at your ISP?
    Do you need a password to access it with Explorer?

Lounger
    Thanks

The site is being published to my ISP's server, and it is not a password protected site.
    Gary

Star Lounger
    Thanks

These are just shots in the dark ...

I would double-check the obvious i.e. that you are using the exact same username/password as when you used the other machine. Make sure caps lock key if off etc.

I would double-check connectivity to the server. However I think you indicated that you can view the web page from the machine that you are publishing to. If you know the IP address, I'd try using the IP address instead of the hostname to publish just in case there is a DNS issue and FP isn't finding the server. (But, again, if IE is working for viewing, this shouldn't be the case.)

I would consider copying the entire web over from the machine that worked to your machine and then trying to publish just in case it has something to do with something within the web itself. Or try creating a new web by importing it and then publishing from the new one.

Lounger
    Thanks

I've tried everything but the last item, but considering that when I tried publishing from another computer I was using a copy of the exact web I was trying to publish originally, I don't think that there is anything in the web that is causing the problem.

Gary

Thanks

Try this:
    Open the web from your ISP. You should be prompted for your ISP user name and password. Use the Import function on the file menu and Import your files into the web. It is kinda backwards - but it should work.

Do you log on to your Window 98 machine and the machine that worked in the same way?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Lounger
    Thanks

Good idea, but, unfortunatly, that doesn't work either. I can go to the website, and then select "edit with frontpage", and I am then prompted for the login and password. I put in the correct login and password, and just like when I try to publish, Frontpage askes for the password again and again. It's as if Frontpage is somehow not sending the password to the site correctly.I've been able to login to the site to publish from several other computers, some with 95, some with 98 and some with NT, all of them work fine. I have to assume that there is a corrupted file or setting on the primary computer I'm trying to use, but as I said before, I tried the "dectect and repair" option, and I did a complete uninstall and reinstall of FP2000 and still ended up with the same problem.

Gary

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Another idea...
    go back to a PC that works, open up your web on the ISP (select File->Open Web, and type in http:// address) then select Tools->Security->Permissions. This is where you can set up FP security by users and **by machine**. Go to the Computers tab and make sure that somebody hasn't entered specific address masks that prevent your computer from publishing. Note also that sometimes these permissions can be inherited from parent webs if they exist. This would explain the kind of behavior you are seeing.

JCBunnell

This may be so obvious that you've already gotten past it, but I had a similar problem publishing my own Web site -- and it turned out not to be the password causing the hitch, but the "Name" field!

Although the box in FP 2000 says "Name" (and showed my full name with middle initial as the default) what it needs is the username on the account that goes with the password.

Thus, if you installed Front Page such that it thinks you're "Roger Ramjet", but the username on your host server is "RogerR" -- note that these can be case sensitive -- you'll see "RogerRamjet" in the default login dialog, but it won't actually log you in till you change it to "RogerR".

JBrush

Same here. Other people in my workgroup could publish without problems, so it had to be something unique to my computer. The problem is somehow tied to Internet Explorer. The solution in my case was upgrading IE from 5.01 to 5.5.
    . . . JBrush

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

what server are you publishing to? if NT, you may need to use this format domainusername. I get it from some machines to my web server but others are fine with just username.

andyt

If you can login using the same credentials from another machine, it wouldn't seem it's the credentials or the eve popular typo. And if you can browse the site from the original machine, it most likely isn't a TCP/IP stack issue. But you might want to be sure of that by uninstalling and reinstalling TCP/IP.
    And there is always the anti-virus program. But if it's running on both machines, that wouldn't be it.
    That leaves FP or its interaction with some other program as the likely culprit. The problem with uninstall/reinstall is that it does not return your machine to status quo ante; some junk remains and is not overwritten by the reinstall. There's probably a registry key which isn't reset or a dll that another program has changed which isn't fixed by the reinstall. The only sure reinstall is to first fdisk. And that's usually to drastic.
    Maybe the MS Knowledge Base has an answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast