New Lounger
    Thanks

Page Numbering problems (Word97 Sr2)

Hi Loungers,

I have a rather long report with a cover page and 2-3 pages of other matter before a TOC (followed by the body of the report).

I would like to have the page numbering in the _body_ of the report start from page 1and run sequentially straight through the report. Page numbers are not required on the cover page, other matter pages and TOC page. In addition, I have some pages in the report where the layout switches from portrait to landscape and then back to portrait. I have created different sections for the first 4 pages and then inserted section breaks for putting in the landscape pages and reverting to portrait mode.

Unfortunately, the page-numbering seems to have gone bonkers at places and skips a number in some sections. Also, in order to get the right page number to appear on page 1, I am having to start the numbering from '0' in the Page Number Format dialog box.

Any ideas how I can sort these out?

TIA for your help.

Frustrated Beancounter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Page Numbering problems (Word97 Sr2)

Have a look at the replies to <post#=176605>post 176605</post#>. There are a couple of suggestions there that should sort you out.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

>Unfortunately, the page-numbering seems to have gone
    >bonkers at places and skips a number in some sections.

The most likely reason I can think of is that your sections are set to start on either an odd-numbered or even-numbered page, instead of "next page". If the previous section ends on the same (odd or even) numbered page, Word skips the number in between. Change the section breaks to "next page" and all should be well.

>Also, in order to get the right page number to appear
    >on page 1, I am having to start the numbering from
    >'0' in the Page Number Format dialog box.

This is probably related to the problem above. I've seen it before but don't remember exactly what caused it. Fix your section breaks and see if that fixes this problem as well. If not, do ask again.

Regards, Jean
    Jean Hollis Weber
    jean@jeanweber.com
    The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/
    -----------------
    Still available: Taming Microsoft Word (for v.6,95,97), 100 pages of tips and tricks for business and technical documents. http://www.jeanweber.com/books/tameword.htm

New Lounger
    Thanks

A belated thanks, StuartR & Jeanweber. The tips did help clear up the problem.