5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

256 RAM reading only 128

Two different friends of mine purchased 256 SDRAM for only $5. Both of them tried installing them and it only read 128 on each card. They already had 128 RAM installed. Both are PII's. I know that the older boards required matching slots in pairs. These have only 3 open ports available. Why won't they read 256? Is there anything usually in CMOS to change for the higher RAM or will PII's not read RAM above 128?

--KZ

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 256 RAM reading only 128

Go to this link & you can determine the max amount of memeory supported by the system(s) in question. There are limitations based on processors, etc.

http://configurator.pny.com/external/

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

KZ - keep in mind that it's the chipset, not the processor, that is responsiblefor recognizing the installed RAM. Some BIOS loaders do indeed store that configuration data but it's been a long time since I saw one that didn't dynamically update it. Check out Bernie's link, and also research the motherboard at the manufacturer's website to see if that's where the problem is rooted.
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>They already had 128 RAM installed....<hr>
    Not sure if I've understood you - there was a 128 stick installed and a 256 stick was added, right, for a total of what should be 384 meg?

When you say it read only 128, did the computer report then 256 - the original 128, plus half the RAM on the second stick, or did the PC report a total of 128? Sounds to me like maybe the original stick and the new one should be reversed in slot placement to see what happens. It could be that the "faster" stick needs to be in the first slot, even if it isn't spec'd as being faster.

Thanks

Also, try the new stick all by itself to see if it reads 256.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The convention is to have the largest memory first in line. Definitely try the new stick by itself, to see if it is working with the system, and then if it is install the memory as 256, 128.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all who responded.

The first box is a 5003 Series Compaq 933 mhz. It wouldn't read at all a 256 stick at all. It now has two 128's and runs fine with that. Apparently that chipset wouldn't read anything above 128 per slot.

The second computer now has three 256 sticks, but reads only 128 out of each. 384 total. Sounds like the same story as the first computer.

This was still cheaper for them paying only $5 each for 256 to get 128.

Apparently this limitation is more common than I thought.

--KZ