Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Double Sided or Duplex Printing

Has anyone managed or tried to print a document in Word 97 double sided via a macro.

The help file mentions that on the Printout method "ManualDuplexPrint Optional Variant. Not used in the U.S. English version of Microsoft Word."

Makes sense I spose, English speaking users of word will not want to print documents duplex. Microsoft, ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I have used send keys to manually manipulate the print driver but its a bit flakey.

Any ideas??????

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Double Sided or Duplex Printing

Mine is a HPLJ4L (where the "L" stands for "El Cheapo) printer. It prints only on one side.

If I have a large document to print both-sides, I'd end up writing a TWO short macros - one that printed odd-numbered pages, one that printed even-.

I know I have to be careful re-inserting paper once it's printed & curled.

KTYorke

I know anyone out there from the EPA will be on me for this but hey.... I have an HP5SI (SI for Satan's Imp [img]/S/devil.gif[/img]) and it's SUPPOSED to print 2 sided... [img]/S/doh.gif[/img] whatever... Every time I try, it inevitably skips a page then screws up the odd:even numbering, then skips back before the end of the document so that I don't realize the mistake until I go through page by page. [img]/S/sigh.gif[/img]

What I have resigned to do is print it out single sided and *gasp* take it over to the copier to double side it. Just less aggravation... I usually keep the single sided for myself (can't bring myself to throw it out, guilty conscious I guess) and hand over the double sided to whoever is asking for it. This way, anyone else asking for the double sided I have the single sided to run through the copier again.

Not the best solution... but an effective one (and double siding it on the copier it A LOT quicker than double siding it on the darn printer)

Our Company uses HP 8000DN's and Lexmark T612's.

We have hundreds of users printing mountains of documents all day, so unfortunately the manual feed trick is not really a goer.

I was trying to find some way of using a custom print macro to manipulate the printer driver to duplex, with out having to use send keys to do it. I even tried righting a custom VB App that can detect duplex capable printers and print duplex or single side, but when this small exe was linked to a word macro, it didn

KT, we have just upgraded from HP5Si and HP4Si printers. I cant recall our printers doing this. We where using Word 6 though.

Now Word 6, that

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I do not know what you mean by manually manipulating the print driver with send keys, but I cannot see how a macro can turn a single sided printer into a duplex one. The paper has to be physically turned over by a mechanical operation, either by human intervention or the additional equipment of duplex printers. If there is a way I would like to see it.

The only suggestion that I could make is print the odd pages, then, reenter the paper properly orientated, and print the even pages. For best results you should use good quality paper, probably 90gm + is best.

The option to print Odd or Even is available in File|Print dialog, or a simple macro could achieve the same.

Andrew C

Thanks

If your printed paper comes out face-down, also worth selecting 'reverse order' print and printing even pages first. Then reset to normal order and print the odds.
    Advantage of this method is that because the 'reverse order' option is remembered, it forces you to re-set it back to its original setting.

All the printers we have, have the capability to print duplex, the duplex units are installed in the printers.

To activate the duplex option you have to go into
    file|print|properties then depending on the type of printer you have (and if the duplexer is physically installed in the printer) you can select to duplex the document.

Problem is that if you try and right/record a macro to do this, as soon as you hit the properties button, you are operating outside the word environment and the macro recorder gives up and doesn

Thanks

Could you install the printer another two times?
    #1 - Start/Settings/Printers/..and set Printer Defaults type 1
    #2 - Start/Settings/Printers/..and set Printer Defaults type 2
    Then all your macro has to do is select which printer.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry that I misunderstood the nature of your problem.

I have a Duplex printer but most of the time use it as a non-duplex. However I have the Printer defined four times in the printer panel.

Firstly as single sided PCL printer, then as single sided Postscript printer, then both those again except set for duplex printing. The printer is a Lexmark Optra, and any of the four configurations can be selected when printing , and that can be done by macro. (using ActivePrinter = "whatever LPT").

You can even have shortcuts to the different configurations and drag and drop the documents to the appropriate settings.

Hope that I have understood your problems better this time, and that the above can be of help to you.

Regards,

Andrew

That was the solution we had on Word 6.

But know with the "improved" Word 97 sitting on NT 4, NT wont let you have the same printer installed more then once on the system. Bummer

No problem, I didn't explain my situation clearly.

What O/S are you running. I have a corporate sanitised version of NT 4, and it won't allow having the same printer connected more then once.

If you are running NT, how did you get around this issue.

Regards

Thanks

Sure? I'm fairly certain it can be done here.
    I have an HP5 which I've additionally installed as an HP4 to use the HP4 drivers (i.e. both are available.) Maybe you need to install it as a close cousin and change the driver to the correct one?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re the OS, I have it running on Windows 98 for sure , but I also think I have it set up similar on a WinNT work station. As it is after 22.30here I will have to wait until tomorrow to confirm. I cannot see how NT can know it is the same printer. Perhaps your system administrator could help.

I'll let you know for sure what the NT situation is with me tomorrow.

Andrew

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Windows NT4 (Build 1381- Service Pack 6) - no popblems in installing multiple configurations of the same Printer.

So it is possible.

Andrew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast