3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Section width greater than the page width (Access XP under W2000)

I have just applied a number of W2000 fixes from the Windows Update site (applied to W2000 SP3). When I go into my names and addresses database in Access I get the following message when opening the file for printing in a custom designed report "The section width is greater than the page width, and there are no items in the additional space, so some pages may be blank". Sure enough, every other page is blank (wasn't like this last time I printed with the same custom report). I checked the section width vs the page width (I have setup this report in landscape with 0.25" L and R margins) and the preview looks OK to me.

Has anyone else seen this message and have a solution.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Section width greater than the page width (Access XP under W2000)

Tweak the width of your report slightly, or try setting the margins to a bit less than .25 inches, and see if your problem goes away. This sort of thing used to happen in older versions of Access if you didn't have the correct printer available, but I haven't seen it with XP.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did try that before I posted. Nothing seems to be outside of the "borders" according to the scale shown in design mode. This database was ported from Access 97 originally through to Access Xp now so maybe that has something to do with it. The correct printer drivers are loaded. I'll try playing with it some more.

Later.....

Tried playing some more with borders. I even deleted the rightmost field in the report. So, now the report is well inside the borders for the printer, but still get the same message and every other page is blank!

Kevin

Kevin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are you by chance using columns in your report? If so that may explain what is going - check out MS KB article 314580. Hopefully this will resolve your problem.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wendell,

Thanks for that tip. That is twice that you have helped me out in the past few weeks. Although I do not use columns per se in this database (I print a line based report of names and addresses). The setting (referenced in the MS article) in design view was set at 10.875" and the margins were 0.2" for both left and right. As soon as I changed to 10.875 to 10.5 the error went away. I am puzzled somewhat that you found a reference on the MS web site because I searched there before I posted on the lounge. What did you search for ?

Again, thanks.

Kevin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I did a search for the error message you got - didn't get any hits in Access 2002, so I said to check all of Access for the same thing and BINGO.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, OK. Thanks for the feedback again!

Regards

Kevin