New Lounger
    Thanks

IE 6.0 and Wireless Access Point (6.0/SP1)

I have a small network at home. Just installed a router. Things were working fine with both a desktop machine and laptop. However, on the lap top, the dongle I was using to connect to an ethernet card became damaged. Instead of replacing the dongle, I decided to go wireless. I have installed a Linksys access point and Linksys wireless card. Both seem to function properly.

On the laptop, I am to ping outside web servers, but whenever I try to launch IE, I receive a "Page cannot be displayed" error. Again, the access point and card seem to funtion perfectly. The card is making good connection to the access point and I am able to ping outside web servers through DOS. In checking the properties of the TCP/IP device, everything appears to be set as it should -- optain IP dynamically from the router, DNS is set to obtain automactically, and WINS is disabled.

Tech support at Linksys is convinced the problem is in my IE browser set up. I have tried uninstalling / re-installing and repairing my version of IE with no success.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

David

Thanks

Re: IE 6.0 and Wireless Access Point (6.0/SP1)

What is your home page set to? Can you manually navigate to a site either by typing in its address or by using a Favorite? What OS is running on the laptop? Any firewall software?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I cannot access any web page through a browser either by entering a DNS or IP address. However, I can ping another machine through DOS. The laptop is running WIN 98 and does not have any firewall software installed (I used to use ZoneAlarm, but have since removed it when I installed the Router).

Thanks

Would it be possible to install another browser on the laptop to see if it is only IE? I don't know which is the most compact; perhaps the most compact would merely be a skin over IE components. Something like Mozilla would probably be a better test, since I doubt it relies on IE's components.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I tried Mozilla and experienced the same behavior. The more I get into this, the more convinced I am that I have a corruption. Since I was already thinking about cleaning my disk and upgrading platforms, I am going to give that a try.