2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing Paper Source for Legal size paper

I would like Word to always choose "Automatically Select" as the Paper Source whenever I set the paper size to Legal. Can this be done?

We have Word 2000.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing Paper Source for Legal size paper

Hi Linda:

I can think of two ways short of a macro. In File/Page Setup, you can change the source to Automatically Select & then click default. This will change it for every document based on the normal template, however.

The easiest is to create a template & set the File/Page Setup/Paper Source to Automatically Select, while that template is open. Do not click the default button. Any document based on that template will then have the source set to Automatically Select.

Hope this helps.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It looks to me that if I change the Paper Source, then I am changing it for ALL sizes of paper, not just Legal. I want Letter size paper to have the Paper Source of Default and Legal to have the Paper Source of Automatically Select. Can Word differentiate like that?

The documents I need to apply this to are supplied to us from outside sources, so they are not new documents that we have control over.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Linda:

I was originally thinking that you could just create whatever documents were going to be legal sized from a different template. If you're getting them from another source, that's a different story.

In that case, I think you would need a macro that would either change the paper source settings or change the attached template to one in which you had already changed the settings. However, I'm not a VBA expert, so you might have to either post this in the VBA forum or see if someone else answers.

In the meantime, you could record a macro that would change the paper source settings to what you want. Actually, you could record a macro that changed settings & then printed. You could record another macro that changed settings back & printed. Then you could put them on a toolbar & label one as PrintLegal & the other as PrintLetter.

Hope this helps.

BAM

Hi Linda,

What kind of printer are you using?

If I

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions. Our printers do have multiple trays, so I will try changing the printer settings, and that may work for what I need.