New Lounger
    Thanks

how do I transfer custom menus between templates? (word xp)

My normal.dot has become corrupted as it stops me printing and the custom menus don

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: how do I transfer custom menus between templates? (word xp)

Merf,

You could look at <!post=this post by Charles Kenyon,24994>this post by Charles Kenyon<!/post> for methods to move menu customizations from an older template to a new one, but if your template dates back as far as you say, it might be better (unfortunately) to recreate your menu customizations from scratch in the new template, rather than try to copy your old toolbars into the new template.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks - Re: how do I transfer custom menus betwee

Hi Gary

Many thanks for your help - I have indeed rebuilt my menus - several of the commands I had have been removed or hidden in xp, such as the all borders button (removed needed a macro to replace it), and the search and replace dialoge box command (had been hidden - there is no new command for it but the old one still fires up the dialogue).

The article you pointed me towards had the very helpful idea of creating a custom toolbar and then creating new menu items on that and then copying them to the menu - a complicated but great way to ensure I can transfer menu items in the future with the organiser

Again - many thanks

Merf

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: how do I transfer custom menus between

I have just realised that the technique of creating a custom toolbar and then creating new menu items on it (that I mentioned in the last post) can be used to transfer custom menu items(i.e., changes to the built in menu bar) or built in tool bars much quicker than recreating them. Create the custom tool bar in the template that you want to copy the custom menus from, then copy <ctrl>+<drag> the existing menus, or buttons to the new toolbar, creating new submenus if required to keep things tidy. Save then use the organiser to copy the custom tool bar to a new template or file. Then drag the menus and buttons to where you want them in the new file / template. The only thing I have not checked out yet it what happens to buttons or menu items that run macros not word

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: how do I transfer custom menus between

Glad that worked well for you - the steps you describe all sound right to me. I think Phil Rabichow has also posted here with this method for saving/transferring custom menu items. You've also got it right with regard to transferring macros - if the macro names are kept the same, and they are kept in a code module with the same name as in the original template, then the custom menu items for the macros should work fine.

Gary