Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word-like editor plugin

A client needs to enable selected fields on a web page with a Word-like editor, e.g., they want to allow people filling in a form on their site to enter enter special characters (e.g., Greek symbols) or to turn on bold or italics without using HTML.

I recall seeing such a thing on a web page or two over the years but don't recall where or what it was. Any suggestions?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word-like editor plugin

Hi Scott,

I think what you're looking for is actually an ActiveX control that simulates a word processor in the page itself. There is an example here: http://www.sophists.com/Led/ActiveLedIt/ScreenShot.asp and another one here: http://www.chado-software.com/aboutspe.htm.

These are actually rich-text format editors, which Word can read and write. It may be the ticket for you. How they work in practice, I don't know, as I've not personally tried them - but hopefully this will get you started.

Best,
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Mark. My first quick look at both of the controls you suggested indicates that they don't necessary load smoothly -- especially with Navigator -- but are worth a second look.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Being ActiveX controls, they probably won't work smoothly with Nav. That's a serious downside. For an application like this though, you may want to standardize on a browser, or code the pages to check for the browser version, simply to avoid forks in your code. The only experience I have had using these required IE as the browser, for this and a few other reasons - the end product was distributed listing IE as a requirement, but that was before Mozilla came around for its second rising.

I would bet that there are similar Java based applications that would work; I limited my search to ActiveX controls because that was what I was familiar with. In other words....automatic pilot. But you might try a Google on Java word processing applets.
    -Mark