New Lounger
    Thanks

OL2000, Can't send from multiple e-mail addresses (OL2000 SR-1)

I have 4 e-mail accounts: one is a personal account, the other three are work accounts (my account, my firm's webmaster account, and a "receptionist" account that will soon be someone else's responsibility). I have no problems receiving mail from any of my accounts. But I can not control which account Outlook sends from.

Outlook always sends from the top-listed account on the "Delivery" tab of the "Services" dialog box. When I click on the "from" button and select the appropriate contact that I want the message to be sent from, I receive the following message: "You do not have permission to send the message on behalf of the specified user." When I type in the address that I would like to send from, I receive the same error message.

I have used Outlook for years on personal computers at home when I had my own business, when I was telecommuting, and when I was in school, and never had this problem. At my current job, however, Outlook is being run off of an Exchange server, which I do not understand at all. Our technical "help" has not been able to set up my e-mail services to work so that I can send from multiple accounts. I am hoping that someone out there can suggest how to set up OL2000, running off an exchange server, to send from multiple e-mail addresses. It is ridiculous that I am considering setting up a Yahoo! Plus account for $30/year to be able to do such a basic e-mail operation, that thousands of dollars in software and tech "support" fees have been unable to do.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OL2000, Can't send from multiple e-mail addresses (OL2000 SR-1)

Have your Exchange Admin add you as a user to the accounts that yout want to send from. Without that all you could do would be to "send on behalf" of the accounts you want to use. (Keep in mind that if you save sent items, the items will go to 'Your' sent items folder.

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 02-Dec-02 18:36. Hopefully made slightly clearer.)</P>We don't use Exchange. Unlike the "Internet Mail Only" option that you probably used before, the "Corporate/Workgroup" mode does not let you specify which account to send from. That is not fixable. Sending "on behalf of" is an official workaround, but it looks ugly.

Possible workaround if you don't need to use these other accounts often is to create a separate profile that does not connect to your Exchange server but merely accesses your PST file, which I presume (??) is where your personal mail is received. Each profile can contain be configured with the account settings for one of your accounts (rather than or in addition to the 4-in-1 as you have now) so that there is no ambiguity about who it will be from or the route it will take out to the Internet. But this assumes you won't need to change profiles often, since it is inconvenient to close Outlook and open under a different profile.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Another option, if you have one main account and others you use occassionally, is to use Outlook for your main account and Outlook Web Access (OWA) to log in to the other accounts, this would enable you to keep your main account open and to switch between the others by logging in from your web browser.

For this to work correctly you may need Tools > Internet Options > Security > choose the zone where your Exchange Server is > Custom level... > "prompt for username and password"

StuartR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (9.7 KB, 0 views)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you all for your replies. I will discuss your suggestions with the exchange administrator and see what the best solution might be. The problem with most of the suggestions is that I do indeed need to check all of these account frequently, so logging out of Outlook and relogging into another profile or using separate Web access is not going to work. I'm the first to admit my ignorance about how the exchange server works, but I find it unbelievable that there is not way to send from multiple e-mail address from one Outlook profile on an Exchange server. I think it is time for me to look into Eudora again, or perhaps Yahoo! Plus with extra storage space is the way to go, although Yahoo! has problems of its own. Anyone have suggestions for alternatives to Outlook that would allow me to manage multiple e-mail accounts from one profile?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, you can do what you need if the admin will add you as a user. Once that's done you just need to add those other mailboxes to your services and you'll have access to those inboxes from your folder list. You'll want to set the display of the from field on (in reply mode View | From Field). Put your name in there and the recipients will see the item as if you were the sender.

The "on behalf of" option is how things work when you only have delegate rights to another mailbox.

Another idea - if they won't add you as a user - is to set up a rule in those other accounts to forward mail to you. Have it sent as an attachment, and you can reply to the attachment as yourself.

2 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australia, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

My problem is subtly different to this.
    I can easily receive email from my ISP pop accounts, but if sending to a mailing list, I need my messages to say they came from the isp account, not my office account.
    I'm not even using the exchange server to send email. We're still using our linux mail server for email, and only using exchange to share contacts & calendars etc. So why on earth can't I even see which service is being used to send?
    Do I have to go into the services menu and change which is the primary / first service in the list????
    OR Does this work just by adding my name in the "from" field?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

when there is an exchange account in the profile, it takes over as default.

it's a better if you use OL2002 as it supports choosing accounts and they work pretty well.