4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copying List from Photo Editor/Paint into Excel (Excel 2002)

I have never used Excel--beginning--apologize for very basic question--can get out a Word document, but have much Word to learn. I copied Processes List from Windows XP Task Manager into Photo Editor and/or Paint--could have been any screen grabber. I want to copy this into Excel, and don't know the best way. I copied from Photo Editor and Pasted into Excel. I know that there are many ways to go from Word documents and Web pages into Excel, and that there is also Importing Data on the Excel Toolbar, and that an entry in a cell can contain from 2 to 32, 767 characters (but not if this is relevant.) I have the processes sitting in Excel now. Can I do something to work with this in Excel--or do I need to first copy from Photo Editor and paste to Word as an intermediary to get to Excel, or drag the image from the "save dialogue box" or even drag it from Photo Editor into Word or Excel directly? I would think that once it's on the clipboard, you could get it into Excel fairly easily.

Seems if I copied it into Excel correctly I could use it without stopping at Word, but does Word have some advantages (obviously one could edit it in Word, but I don't need to edit it). I am responding to this current thread in the XP section requesting a way to print Task Mgr. Processes and use them in Excel. They can easily be copied into Photo Editor or Paint and be printed. It's getting them into Excel the most efficient way or ways I need to learn.

Thanks much,

defrag
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Re: Copying List from Photo Editor/Paint into Excel (Excel 2002)

Hi There

Confused about your question. Just done a screen capture into Paintshop Pro and then copied that image straigh into Excel. Edit, Paste in Excel. Example attached.

What am I missing about your question?

Regards
    Peter
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If all you want is a snapshot of the Task Manager screen in an excel worksheet, then all you have to do is

1 Make the Task Manager the active window

2. Press the Alt and Print Screen Buttons together

3. Go to your Excel worksheet and paste.

You should have an image of the task manager in Excel

If you want to actually include a list of the running applications/processses in a range of cells, then a bitmap image is of little use whatever way it was got.
    You may need to employ some VBA with API calls to get the info.

Andrew C

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Peter and Andrew--

Thanks for the help. The origin of the question was from the XP thread I linked to above where the question was about contexting TM processes, printing them, and then listing them in Excel, but what was going to be done after that wasn't included. I could context them (Google, Windows Service Configurations, and print them with a screen shot but didn't know how to answer to best get them into Excel.

defrag