New Lounger
    Thanks

using includetext field

Hi folks,

I am trying to set up a set of documents that draw common elements from a single source document. I originally made the source document a form and used form text fields for the users' data entry point.
    The problem is that the "child" documents' fields don't update with the bookmarked data from the source. Instead they import the form text fields complete with bookmarks.

What is going wrong? - it seemed like such a straightforward document automation process.

Config: MS Word 97(SR2) on Windows 95

regards and TIA, Bede

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: using includetext field

I have a three vehicles that do this.

Codetext collects common text from a ast of documents and stores them in a reference document. Text in the original documents is then built up as a series of {IncludeText} fields. Updating is a cinch. Jim Federlein motivated me to drop these {Includetext} fields into the Autotext entries so you can create brand-new documents by using Autotext to generate {Includetext} fields which expand to the current text contant. Thanks Jim!

GenDoc allows the user to build and maintain tables of data within document modules. The tables describe source files of basic text to be pasted/linked into the target document, headre/footer data files, and allow a very flexible search-and-replace system - you nominate your own tags and escape characters. GenDoc has been upgraded (Thanks Paul Tredoux!)

Customizer uses a GUI form with shopping-basket technology to build a document from bookmarked text across the network. I use this to assemble customised training courses from a vast collection of training material.

If you'd like to inspect any of these, please let me know and I'll attach as a ZIPped file to an email.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, thanks Chris I'd like to have a look at them.
    However, all I want to do is set up seven documents that have common elements (like a customer name, a contract number, job location and that sort of thing).
    I have all the data in place, I just can't get the fields in the destination file to read the data from the source file.
    I tried but can't find what I've done wrong.

Bede

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bede:

In your source document, unprotect it, select all the fields (actually, just press Ctrl+A to select everything) & press Ctrl+F11. This will lock your fields (they can still be changed, but you won't lose text when you reprotect. Then, & only then, reprotect the source document. Go back to your target documents. Select & update the fields.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I'm going to experiment with Chris's templates as soon as I find time. He's got some great ideas.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Oh, & 1 more thing. Check out this article in the KB
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q195/5/96.ASP>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q195/5/96.ASP</A>

It suggests using the LINK field with the a switch. The latter causes the field to automatically update.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If all else fails email a small portion of the file with the {Includetext} fields and a sample of the source doc to me.