New Lounger
    Thanks

Soltec MB Problems

I have a computer with a Soltec SL-75DRV4 motherboard, an AMD 2000 XP processor, 512Mb DDR and a GF4 Ti4200 graphics card. When you press the power button the computer boots for about 1 second and then turns off again. It did this last week and we replaced the CPU as it was fried because the last bloke to work on it didn't connect the fan. It worked fine until four days ago when it wouldn't boot at all so we replaced the power supply and it worked aside for a stuffed 100Gig 2ndary HDD. It is now doing the same as the original problem. I don't think it is the CPU this time. Could it be the Motherboard? What else could it be? Please help if you have any clues to what it could be.

Thanks

Aron

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Soltec MB Problems

It certainly sounds as though something is improperly connected, or a jumper is not set correctly. It most certainly could be the motherboard, since you have replaced nearly everything else in the chain. I would first check to see what the output wattage is on your power supply, because Athlon XP processors (along with Pentium 4 chips) draw quite a bit of power....I had a system that would spontaneously shut down or reboot, and it ultimately turned out to be the power supply. Not a faulty one, it simply could not provide a steady enough power output, which tripped up the entire system.

Also try disconnecting everything except for the video card, the hard drive, and a single stick of RAM - along with checking your jumper settings. And if you can get far enough, you may want to load the BIOS' 'failsafe defaults.'

Good luck!!
    -Mark