Lounger
    Thanks

ie just closes (6.0.2800 xpsp1)

every now and then i'll come across a link, and when I click on it, ie just completely shuts down. it will open in msn or aol (ugh), but ie just immediately goes away.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ie just closes (6.0.2800 xpsp1)

Larry--
    Do you have other browser windows open at the time, and are you getting any error messages of the type "IE has encountered a problem...IE will close now" with a hyperlink to the error, or is it just crashing to the desktop?

defrag

Lounger
    Thanks

it just crashes to the desktop with no warnings. it also crashes quick. it's just .... gone.
    the latest link i've come across that it does it on is when i was doing a search on web browsers, and saw a link that says "Visually Browse Multiple Pages at Once" The address for this link is:
    http://rd.yahoo.com/partner/2766679/overtu...rgs=02u3hs9yoaj

Lounger
    Thanks

just came across another link that immediately shuts it down.
    www.fosterparents.com

Thanks

That sites uses Java for its navigation bar. IE 6 doesn't come with a Java runtime engine such as Sun's Java Virtual Machine or Microsoft's Microsoft's Microsoft Virtual Machine. Search here for JVM or virtual machine for links to where to get one. Or you can turn off Java in your security settings (Tools|Internet Options...|Security|Internet Zone|Custom Level...) temporarily to see if that works as a workaround.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounger
    Thanks

okay, found the problem. disabling left a bunch of junk on the page. i tried setting it to low security, but that didn't change things. but your suggestion gave me another idea of something to check .... in tools/internetoptions/advanced, under Java(Sun) I unchecked that box, and also unchecked the one under Microsoft VM; restarted, and it works fine.

thanks a bunch for your help.
    larry

p.s. thinking about Mandrake and Mozilla. any thoughts? :-)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Larry--
    Go to Windows Update and Search for the Microsoft Virtual Machine if Jefferson's workaround doesn't fix you first. Here's the context/FAQ. But if you have downloaded Windows XP SP1, it includes the Microsoft VM.

Tech TV's The Screen Savers has done a lot of segments for people who are Windows familiar but also want to get into Linux. Most of them recommend Mandrake,some Red Hat, but my point here is just to point you toward search on their site because they feature some great orientation articles and Linux links, install tips, and other Linux tips with Chris Dibona, a recognized Linux expert writing many of them and providing links. Chris Dibona on Linux Red Hat 8.0. At the bottom of this article are a number of other good links.

Also at Knoppix which Chris Perillo at Tech TV is high on, you can get a good intro to Linux without even impacting your system. See Distro Watch as well. See Mozilla.org

defrag

Thanks

Wow, it sounds as though the "Advanced" tab has changed a lot in IE 6. Glad you found it. Java is useful, though, so I hope you find a way to get one of the VMs to work eventually.

Regarding Mozilla, it gets good reviews on the "Other browsers" board.