New Lounger
    Thanks

Workgroup Templates (Office 2000 / XP)

In Office 97, you used to be able to set a workgroup templates directory by entering the directory in the Alternate Startup File Location text box on the General Tab of the Tools/Options dialog box. Once you did this, any templates in that directory would show up when you clicked on File/New. This directory could be different from the directory designated as the Word workgroup template directory. We used this to point all of our Excel desktops throughout the company to a directory where they could access shared templates.This does not seem to work in Excel 2000 or XP. Does anyone know of a way to point Excel to a shared workgroup template directory without using the workgroup template directory specified in Word? I also want to use tabs (folders) like Word has to identify departments or the type of templates offered and if possible remove the default office template files so they don't show up when you click on File/New. Microsoft just doesn't make it easy to manage templates in a "real world" office environment.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Workgroup Templates (Office 2000 / XP)

Here's the recommendation under XL 2000 Help (edited):
    <hr>make a custom template available to others by storing the template on a network location ... that is accessible by all users in your group. Then create a shortcut to the folder or template, and have users place the shortcut in their Templates folder.<hr>
    Which will usually be either:
    C:osProfilesuser_nameApplication DataMicrosoftTemplates
    or
    Cocuments and Settingsuser_nameApplication DataMicrosoftTemplates
    or similar.

I haven't gotten into the issue of Template Tabs, see if MSKB 304486, and child links, helps.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

Not real practical in a business environment. We have more than 100 templates and 20 workstations. This would require me to setup at least 2000 shortcuts. Actually more if you have to do this by individual user as it is sometimes necessary for people to use someone else's workstation. And without tabs (folders) there is no way to organize templates. This would be like throwing all your files into one directory. I know people do this but it

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree, though I would expect someone with Administrative rights will not need to do more than setup the additional folders and shortcuts once on the network, then write a batch file to copy the additional subfolders and shortcuts to the 20 users, and have it run on the selected users startup. I could probably do it manually with my team of five people in about an hour, and I don't have any Admin rights (I just have "do this to keep your job" rights!).
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

Removing Office Templates after installation

Do you know if there is way to remove the Spreadsheet Solutions tab and Office 97 Templates tab (created from upgrade install) and all other Office templates from the General tab from Excel? Some templates are not actually installed on our workstations but an icon shows up anyway and if you click on one it tries to install it. I would rather get rid of them and clean things up. Very confusing to most of our users.

I also tried adding a test sub directory to the workgroup template directory specified in Word and dropped an Excel template file and a Word Template file in it and the tab shows up in Excel 2000 and XP. So this issue is resolved.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Darrell

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Removing Office Templates after installation

In the File, New, dialogs, select a template or file within one of the tabs, and then right click the the Properties dialog and look under Location (may not show you the entire path). They will usually be somewhere like:

C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeTemplates1033
    C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeTemplates<etc.>

... but installations vary. Delete the folders you don't want.

Good luck, it sounds like you have a bit of work to do what you need!
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

That doesn't seem to work on the templates located in the Spreadsheet Solutions Tab. These are the templates that aren't installed but have an icon for them to initiate installation. I'd like to remove the Spreadsheet Solutions Tab and all its icons if possible.

Darrell

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I think that's going to require a Registry hack or Office reinstallation. Read the MSKB link I provided above in this thread.
    UTC -7ąDS

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Did you install Excel with the Spreadsheet Templates option set to Not Available? If I understand correctly, that should make the tab no longer appear. As to having to create shortcuts, if the templates are placed in folders under the template directory then they should show up in folders with a tab named the same as the folder. Haven't actually tinkered with this myself since 97 and I know some changes were made that caused templates to be a bit more unwieldy, but I think it still works that way.
    Wendell

Thanks

I highly recommend the MS Office 2K or XP Resource kit. At this point - you'll have to either apply system policies or reinstall with an MST file. The resource kit is very useful for either one.

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile