New Lounger
    Thanks

Create Custom Slide Layouts (XP)

I'm using the new XP and I want to create a template with macros to insert 5-6 custom slide layouts I have created? I've done lots of Word macros and templates but this is my first Powerpoint one. Can I do this using VBA, master slides? Any help in pointing me to the right direction, would be appreciated. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Create Custom Slide Layouts (XP)

What you probably want to do is create several new master slides and save them in the default directory. If you are actually creating automated content much the way PpwerPoint does, then you create a Content template. If you go to PPT Help and look at templates you should get some help on how to do both. VBA is another alternative, and you could actually create a presentation on the fly, but it sounds like a good deal of programming. VBA is more commonly used to customize an existing presentation to fit certain audiences and time slots.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Create Custom Slide Layouts (XP)

Thanks Wendell,

After a lot of searching on I finally founda a workable solution. I had one .ppt file with my 5 generic slides. Then I created a Design Template with a toolbar. To pull in the generic slides, I used the following code:

Dim i As Integer

' skip to error section if there is an error
    On Error GoTo Error_Message

' get the active slide index
    i = ActiveWindow.Selection.SlideRange.SlideIndex

' Inserts a slide from the file into the active presentation
    ' NOTE: Just replace the <Your presentation here> with the full
    ' path and file name of your source presentation
    ActivePresentation.Slides.InsertFromFile "<Your presentation here>", i, 1, 1
    ActivePresentation.Slides.Range(i + 1).ApplyTemplate "<Your presentation here>"
    End

Now I have to figure out how to get the toolbar to work with this template (I think I have to research PowerPoint add-ins).

Again thanks for your help.