3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

connect to internet

I have been using Office 2000 on the same machine for over a year. I run windows 98 and am connected to a peer to peer network, which shares a printer.
    Recently, when I hit the print button, I get a window that pops up asking me if I want to connect to the internet. The document still prints.
    It doesn't do this all the time, and its a different window than my normal dial up window. Additionally, sometimes it does this when I'm not trying to print, but I forget the circumstances around those times.
    I don't know if this is an Office problem or a Windows OS problem. I work in Office most of the day.
    I do have access to the internet on this machine.
    The only new software I can think of recently installing is a trial version of "QuickBooks". However I can't be sure the problem ever occurred before that.

Hope some of these clues can help.

Thanks.
    Rick

Thanks

Re: connect to internet

Sounds suspicious. Have you run a good virus scan recently?

If it is Office itself, could any of your documents or templates contain URLs to distant locations?

You also could try ZoneAlarm, which will let you know what application is attempting to access the Internet.

ileacy

Rick:
    Sounds like Jeff's suggestion of Zone Alarm is the best place to start.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree, get it <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zonelabs.com/index.html>here</A>, the price is right FREEware. [img]/S/smile.gif[/img]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi there

A firewall line ZoneAlarm is a good idea but it's QuickBooks that is trying to connect - it is the default setting would you believe.To

To turn it off you have to first get through the internet connection settings - unless you've already done that. Can't remember what I had to do first but now to turn on/ off I go into File - Update Quickbooks - Update Options.

Hope this helps. Always suspect the last thing you installed by the way!

Sarah

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks!!
    I have made the change. It was set to "Automatic updates". Sounds like that was the problem. And yes, newly installed programs are to be suspected when goofy things start to happen.

Thanks again.

Rick