Thread: Network Help!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network Help!

I'm trying to network 4 systems. One has XP Pro, one has XPHome, one has WinMe and one has Win98SE. I'm using a single port DSL cable/router supplied by the ISP with static IP. The router and the four systems are connected to a switch. All four systems access the internet via DSL no problem. But I can't get the XP's to recognize the Win9x's. When I look at what computers are in the workgroup, the WinXp's show each other and the Win9X's show each other, but can't get all four to access each other. Both XP's ping all four systems. But pings originated from the Win9x's timeout. Help! Thanks, J

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network Help!

I had a similar problem recently, but can't remember exactly what solved it. I seem to recall that XP doesn't show a W98 computer on the net unless the W98 has one or more drives or folders set to "shared." You might investigate that.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network Help!

I don't think "shares" will block the ability to see other PCs, but in this crazy networking stuff, I guess anything's possible. First, make sure you have SIMPLE FILE SHARING turned off on the XP machines, under Folder Options. Are ALL four machines using TCP/IP or do you have one of the older protocols setup on the non-XP machines? On the XP machines, check to make sure that you've turned off the FIREWALL option. (See attachment. It's in Network Connection, Properties) Come back and let us know......
    Attached Images Attached Images