Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

WP51 conversion truncated display (Word97 (not SR)

I've just completed a WordPerfect/5.1/DOS conversion to Word97, not SR1 and not SR2.

I noticed that in some documents the formatting on the screen truncates the tops of characters, so that the "dot" of the letter "i" is missing, and the tops of "f" and "t" are missing.

I played around with formatting, removed the "condensed by 0.15 points" settings, switched switched from "Courier" to "Courier New" just in case, but could find nothing that could fix the display except for dear old Ctrl-Space.

Any clues as to how to rectify the on-screen behaviour?

The documents print alright (HP2000), and they display fine in View, Normal, but they'll look a tad weird to the WP51 crowd in Page Layout, Zoom Page Width.

Thanks

Re: WP51 conversion truncated display (Word97 (not SR)

My only thought is: Change the Compatibility setting to Word 97. If that fixes it, you could experiment with the individual WP5.1 settings to see which one causes it.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We did this conversion years ago, probably '97, and are still having tis problem in some docs.
    Try changing the Format|Paragraph settings. For some reason through the conversion there is a 6 point space placed before a line particulary in tables. I have found the best way to do these conversions is to copy all (Ctrl A, Ctrl C) to a new document, highlite all (Ctrl A) and remove all formatting ( This will depend on how many docs you are converting of course).

Another way to check is to get the CrossEyes program from Levitt and James to view the codes in the document(s).
    cheers

Phil Carter

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

jscher, thanks. That appeared to do the trick. I tried it on a WP51DOS document in my office.

Once I disabled that compatibility, the characters seemed to jump down just a tad; I think that would make the tops of letters appear. No form test until I return to the client site next week, but it sure looks like a handy tool to keep in my back pocket!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

bonriki, thanks for the reply.

I did essay with Paragraph settings, and couldn't see much difference.

I was out on a limb changing "Courier" to 'Courier New", since client wanted NO document cleansing performed at all, at all.

The copy/paste technique is effectively what i do with Document Cleansing - I parse the entrire text and determine what each paragraph is trying to be, and then type the text and apply the appropriate style. Again, not possible in this case, although chances are stromng that Client will ask for it all to be re-done next week!