Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Printing Problem (Excel XP)

Okay, I'm stumped, again! Never had this happen before...I've selected a range B2:K31 and clicked on Print Area|Set.

In Page Setup..., I have selected Landscape and Fit to 1X1. Paper Size 8.5 X 11. And there is nothing abnormal on the Margins tab. Header & Footer are both set to (none). And on the Sheet tab, the Print area is clearly defined as B2:K31

Clicking on Print Preview indicates that only the range of B2:K27 will be printed on the page. And clicking on Print will produce exactly what was on the Preview screen. There are four rows that WILL NOT show on the Preview or print on the Paper.

Nothings changed - I don't know what has happened and I can't explain this random feature. I've rebooted the PC, reset the printer, re-installed the printer. For the life of me and nearly 4 hours, I can't get the designated Print Area to show on screen or on paper.

I'm attaching the sheet in hopes that someone else will see if they get the same behavior. The sheet is protected (but without passwords). One thing that appears different than I remember - On the Page Setup / Page dialog - Whenever I used to tick the Fit to 1X1 button, the % box would change to something other than 100%. Now, that's not happening, it is staying on 100
    Attached Files Attached Files
    - Ricky

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printing Problem (Excel XP)

Here's a pix of the Page Setup dialog. Normally (I think), the percentage would change to something smaller than 100 when you force an area to print to one page. And even with the settings you see here, it will only print B2:K27.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Ricky

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ricky,

For what it's worth, your sheet previews and prints OK in Excel 97 SR2. See attached screenshot of the bottom part of the print preview.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Prints fine on XL2000 SR1 too.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Without making any changes in settings, etc to the sheet as I posted it, this is what the bottom of my Print Preview looks like. Also, curious if the % box had something other than 100 when you looked at the Page Setup Dialog.
    - Ricky

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The % in the Page Setup dialog is 100, just as in your case; I think this is because your print range just happens to fit on one page.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Okay - if I change the paper orientation to Portrait, Excel will scale down the print area to fit the page. You can see in the diagram where the 100% has changed to a lesser amount.

Further, I have found that if I choose to scale the image to 92%, it will print the entire range in Landscape mode. But this is not normal, if you set the range and choose 1 X 1 scaling, it should automatically print to fit.

So, for some reason, my version of Excel has quit scaling properly while printing in the landscape format. I'm guessing another re-install - this is becoming a monthly necessity...
    - Ricky

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Just a hunch, but maybe selecting another printer and then selecting the usual one again helps (not sure if you have to do it from the print dialog of XL, but I would start there). I recall reading this as a solution to a printing problem.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Just a stab in the dark here. Try going to printer setup, Margins tab and set the footer margin to zero.
    Legare Coleman

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks,
    The header & footer were already set to zero. The side margeins were set to .25 and the top and bottom were set to .75 ea. This is the settings I use most of the time.

What I've discovered is the problem is only with THAT sheet. In every other Excel file I have, the print functions are all fine. In fact, I added a sheet to that very same workbook - filled in data in the range (A1:L100) - set the printer settings exactly as they were for the bad sheet - and the scaling worked fine!

I ticked the 1page X 1page setting & landscape and clicked on Print Preview and it crammed it on the center of the page (pretty as you please). The percent dialog which is unchecked still responds by showing that the document was reduced to 40% of its original size.

So the problem is not with the printer, not with Excel and not even with that workbook, it's only with a single page (worksheet) in the workbook. When you choose to print a given range onto a 1 page X 1 page setting, Excel is supposed to scale the image down proportinally (scale) if necessary. On this particular page it will not budge from 100%, And I still can't figure it out...

The work-around I settled for was to manually change the scaling to 92% - now it prints on a single page. It's odd behavior and I was concerned that it may be the beginning of a bigger problem...
    - Ricky

Thanks

Off -the-wall question:
    Was that sheet created in the current version or imported from another version, from a lotus file, text, or whatever?

I have seen and heard about "squirreliness" in imported files. They seem to keep some "residuals" of the other program and certain things do not work as expected. I have seen functions not work in all circumstances that it would work in excel in a file that was imported from excel.

You might try makeing a brand new sheet and copy the data from this sheet to the new sheet and then delete the old sheet. This might fix the problem.

Steve

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

One last suggestion.

You might try saving the file in HTML format, close Excel, Open Excel and open the HTML file and save it back as a .xls file. This sometimes will clear up strange stuff like this. Be sure to save a copy of the original .xls file since some formatting might be lost in the .xls to HTML to .xls conversions.
    Legare Coleman

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You say the % doesn't change. It doesn't have to. The page all fits OK at 100%.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

David, It does for you, as well as it did for Hans and Jan Karel but for some reason, it doesn't for me. Take a careful look at the <!post=print preview,203081>print preview<!/post> pix in this post and you can see that the range does not fit on one page @ 100%. This is with header and footer set to zero and side margins at .25. North and South at .75.

Now, I can get the range to fit at 100% if I change the north and south margins to .50. But this has never been necessary before. You should be able to set the margins to 3.00 all the way around (if you want to!) and the range would be scaled to fit in the printable area.
    - Ricky

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Steve - I started with a blank excel document and built it from the ground up. I have gotten in the habit of using Save As Type: Microsoft Excel 97-2002 & 5.0/95 Workbook assuming that others who will use my documents may be using older versions of Excel.

I've thought about copying the data and formatting to a new workbook, but wouldn't the copy create links back to the original workbook? I hate it when that happens...

Legare - html is not an option on my Save As dialog. Is Save As Web Page the same thing?
    - Ricky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast