New Lounger
    Thanks

File Format Not Recognised - Corrupt Database (Access 97 - SR2B)

Can anybody please help me with this. We have a Document Creation and Retrieval System which uses an Access 97 database to store information and location of the documents created. Recently, the Access Database has crashed twice and when opening the database I get this error message 'File Format Not Recognised'. Has anybody come across this before and is there a permanent resolution to this?

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File Format Not Recognised - Corrupt Database (Access 97 - SR2B)

Access 97 databases seem to prone to become corrupt, especially on a network. You may still be able to retrieve the data.

1. Just to be sure, make a copy of the database.

2. Create a new, blank database. Try to import the tables (and other database objects, if present) from the corrupt database into the new database. If you succeed, you can put the damaged database in a safe place until you are sure you don't need it anymore, and give the new database the name of the old one.

3. If this doesn't work, see if the JetComp utility is able to repair the database. JetComp is part of Jet35sp3; you can download it from ACC97: Updated Version of Microsoft Jet 3.5 Available for Download.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You may also want to try using JetComp to repair the database. One of the advantages of using JetComp is that it doesn't require that the old database be opened (vs. using the internal Repair which requires you to first open the database). You can pick it up from the Microsoft site (I believe in OfficeUpdates area).
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to the other's comments, you should split your database (if you haven't already) into a frontend and backend. At least in my experience, it is almost always the frontend that goes south, so if your database is split it is less likely you'll lose your data.