New Lounger
    Thanks

WinXP/Printing/Firewall

I am on a network which has a firewall. Since this firewall was installed, I can not print while connected to the network. The printer is connected to my local computer. The firewall is on the server.

Any Ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

Thanks

Re: WinXP/Printing/Firewall

If you open the printer properties dialog, what port is the printer listed on: a server-based port (e.g., ServerPrinterName) or a local port (e.g., LPT1? If it's local, I'm hard pressed to understand how a server-based firewall could have any effect...

New Lounger
    Thanks

my printer is located on a printer server that is connected to my computer only, and i'm the only one with access to it. I am only connected to the network in order to access the high speed internet connection.

Thanks

This printer server, is it something you can do without by simply attaching the printer directly to your computer?

If not, how do you print to the printer server, using its IP address? It's possible that the firewall gets first crack at all the packets issuing forth from your computer (e.g., if it is set up as the default gateway), and is dropping them into a black hole. (Figuratively speaking, of course; I doubt it would be literally possible to do that!) I'm not sure the best way to attack that if that is the problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks

i have 2 printer connected to the print server. one is a laser and the other is a dotmatrix (multi-part invoices).

Thanks

Please see if you can respond to my second question. I use Windows 2000, and I don't know what your dialogs look like. Do you have a "Ports" tab? If not, what does the part of the dialog that gives the path to the printer look like?