3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

2 Hard Drives, 1 PC (Windows XP)

I plan on installing a new, never used and/or registered XP update on a new HD. I'm keeping my old HD as a slave to the new one. Can I install XP on both HDs or do I need 2 XP updates?
    Does anybody have any helpful advice as to what to do and not to do in the installation process.
    BTW, the slave HD has Win 98SE on it but I would like to switch it over to XP.
    Eli

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 2 Hard Drives, 1 PC (Windows XP)

When you use the word "slave" that tells us that you plan to put the hard drive in the same machine as the new one, in a secondary position/status. Why in the world would you want to install XP (or any operating system) on this slave drive? Seems like you would use this older drive as a "data" drive or whatever. Of course, there's always the possibility of a dual boot system, but for sure not with XP, huh? Can you tell us some more, please?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi bigaldoc,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have a lot of data (e-mails, data files, etc.) that's on the old drive. It gives me nothing but grief - it crashes more that Saadam Hussein's air force. I thought that I would need some OS on the slave to access the data. Would you please explain what a dual boot system is and how I would use it?
    Eli

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not Al, but I can shed a little light on that one. First off, I'd bet that it's Windows and not the hard drive that is crashing. Regardless, to set up a dual-boot system, all you would need to do is boot with the Windows XP CD-ROM. It will do all of it for you, and prompt you through the process. During setup you have the option to format, etc....just tell setup to leave it alone. XP will create a boot menu for you as part of the installation if you choose 'clean install' instead of 'upgrade.'

Dual boot works like this (with NT/2000/XP): XP will replace the boot sector on your hard drive, and copy the existing one to a file (BOOTSECT.DOS). When the computer starts and passes control to the boot sector containing the information needed to start the operating system, XP presents you with a menu. You can select XP or Windows 98 at that point. If you choose 98, XP's boot loader will then load BOOTSECT.DOS into memory, passing control to it, and Windows 98 starts normally, completely and blissfully unaware that it wasn't the first thing to start.

Dual booting is good for many things, particularly if you have older DOS programs or DOS-based games (nearly everything within the few years will run under XP). It also allows you to slowly get used to/move in to Windows XP. Under XP, you would need to install your software anew, as it won't be aware of the programs that are installed under 98. If you're not ready to dive into the icy cold water (so to speak) this is a great alternative. Personally, I would avoid upgrading at all costs, because it nearly always results in some strange behavior either immediately or down the road.

HTH,
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

And with Mark having said all that, if you decide you really DON'T need a dual boot system, that's OK too. It looks to me like you really don't need to dual boot, just so you can acces "data" on an older drive. If you put your old drive in as a slave, like it would probably be D: drive, you can access any data on that drive with whatever programs are appropriate from your new C: drive, containing Windows XP as its operating system. However, as Mark has said, each software program will have to be installed in XP anyway, so you're going to have to go through that one way or the other. I don't think I'd opt for the dual boot if I were you.