Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Problems with ScanDisk in ME

I have two main problems that I have not been able to solve:
    1) When I turn-on my computer the ScanDisk feature is activated every time. Should only happen when computer is shut down incorrectly. Once ScanDisk begins it goes into and endless loop, I must 'cancel' to stop it.
    2) When opening certain applications I get the following message: One of the Library files needed to run this application cannot be found. What is this mean?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problems with ScanDisk in ME

Try rebooting your computer in SAFE MODE and even if ScanDisk doesn't run, you should run it and let it complete the scan. It's probably in the endless loop you referred to because of some other program causing "hits" to the hard drive. Could be a virus program or any kind of TSR. In most instances, if you run ScanDisk in Safe Mode, it should successfully complete and then won't bother you any more on later normal reboots. I hope.....

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have the looping ScanDisk problem periodically--in my situation, it appears to be caused by some application that's running, and I've never been able to figure out which one(s).. My workaround involves running EndItAll, a neat freeware program from PCMag. It shuts down all but the essential applications. After I've run EndItAll, Scan Disk works fine. (A reboot is needed, though, to get all startup applications running. The freeware is available at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,697,00.asp

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You may want to delete ALL files that are in the "C:WINDOWSAPPLOG" folder. Then restart the machine and then run defrag.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello. I also have problems with running Scandisk. I also use the Kill It All program to stop the SSDPSRV.exe file which seems to work and let scandisk finish. Does anyone know for sure that you can delete (or hide this file) and what it is used for ?
    What are all the files in C:windowsapplog doing there and what happens to the computer if I delete all of them ? I have 225 entries in there.
    Is there anything really important in there, like login to sites, etc. ?
    Thanks,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Take a look here at this often mentioned link. It says:

Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP) and General Event Notification Architecture (GENA) services for network plug and play functionality. Starts up a web server on port 5000. Used by Universal Plug and Play (for network device discovery). To remove this program, open Add/Remove Programs, select either Communications (Me) or Networking Services (XP), and remove the checkmark next to Universal Plug and Play

I don't know about you, but that doesn't tell ME whether I would want to disable it!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Al, I agree with you. I don't know if I want to disable it. I have a card reader that uses USB and assigns drives to the different cards and that may use the SSDP services...not sure. Also have three computers running (TCP/IP) but do share devices amongst them...it might affect those as well. Someone out there will come up with the answer.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know that there IS an "answer" to this one, Tim. ScanDisk (IMHO) has always had a problem with apps that are running. That's why I always have run it in Safe Mode. Takes a little extra time, but far less harrassing! You're right, those SSDP service are most likely "good guys" and need to be running. Now that I'm running XP Pro, CHKDSK runs without a hitch on all my partitions except the boot drive, which it runs then on re-start. Keep the faith!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Big Al, Here's a descripiton of UPNP http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;262458. Believe you can uninstall it without any problem if you don't need that functionality (which almost no one does). A plus to uninstall is closing another network hole some bad guy can try to exploit.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

One of the things that Scandisk and defrags does is to see what programs and files are used the most. When running Defrag or Norton's "Speedisk", they both use the applog folder to tell which files and programs have been used and where to place these files.

Some times a file within this folded will get clobbered and will give these programs a headache, so they keep restarting. Give them a "painkiller" by deleting these files. These files will be remade as needed. Also you may find files listed to programs that you have removed from your machine.

There is a MS KB about this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...B;en-us;q238165

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dave,

Thanks for the info. and MS KB link re. APPLOG. Deleting the files allowed scandisk to run without looping. I've also deleted the files on my office computer (Windows 2000 Service Pack 3), but I also find an APPLOG$$$ folder which appears to be, for the most part, identical to the APPLOG folder. There are 7 additional files in APPLOG$$$. Am I safe to assume that I can delete those files, perhaps the folder, as well?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dave. Thanks for the info. My question, before deleting everything in that folder is: will it kill any auto login or passwords or things like that ?
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

THANK YOU!!! IT WORKS!
    Started the computer in Safe Mode, took more than 15 hour to run the complete ScanDisk cycle. After doing this I do not get the ScanDisk dialog when starting my computer anymore. Remains to be seen what happens when I actually have an improper shut down, hopefully the ScanDisk will get into an endeless loop, I haven't try that yet. Thank you again for your valuable advise.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Wow! ScanDisk must have been running a "Thorough" surface scan to have taken that long! Sometimes, but not necessarily always, that's a precursor to a potential future hard drive failure. You ought to keep your eyes AND ears open in coming weeks/months. If that kind of thing happens again, you might want to consider replacing the drive. It should not be a common thing, running that thorough scan. Also, open up ScanDisk and check its settings. Make sure the checkbox is set for normal, NOT thorough. Otherwise it might do that every time.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"will it kill any auto login or passwords or things like that ?"

NO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast