3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

(Semi) Legitimate upgrade question (xp home)

Aside from the various and murky ethics questions, can I use the same copy of win98 to upgrade more than one copy of XP home upgrade? I have upgraded our 450mhz Gateway to XP almost when it first came out, and like it a lot. I have been happy to use the copy of 98 in a 200mhz dell I have been playing with (and learning a lot from). However, now I've taken the plunge and am awaiting shipment on a 1.2ghz barebones system that I will put together "on the cheap". I would like to use xp in it, but paying an extra $100 or so for the full version is steep, and I'd rather apply the $ somewhere else (boy those 17" flat panel monitors look tempting....). This is a strictly home hobbyist application, no business or profit generation, so I'm somewhat comfortable with the ethics. What I don't know is if there's a check in xp activation?

Oh what a tangled web we weave.....

kip

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: (Semi) Legitimate upgrade question (xp home)

Legally <font color=red><big> NO</big></font color=red>

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

From Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation:

"Windows XP is licensed for use on a single PC. It cannot be installed on more than one PC without purchasing additional licenses. It can be re-installed and activated on the same PC an unlimited number of times. Office XP is similarly licensed, however Office XP allows for a second installation on a portable device for the exclusive use of the person who is the primary user of the first copy. Likewise, Office XP can be re-installed and activated on the same PC an unlimited number of times. Please see your end user license agreement or product use rights for details on a specific product."

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Don't expect anyone to promote piracy, but I was interested in the workings of Activation.

kip