Star Lounger
    Thanks

Protect form sections differently

Is it possible in Word 97 to protect one section of a form so that it cannot be modified by a user, while allowing the user to modify another section of the same form (with Form Protection turned on and applied to all sections)? (I thought maybe master documents and sub documents would allow this, but I haven't been able to get that to work.)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Protect form sections differently

Hi,

Yes, it's possible.

One way is just to put in form fields (View, Toolbars, Forms to show the forms toolbars; pooisition the cursor, and click on the button with "ab"). This can allow extended text to be entered. You can also enter check boxes and drop down lists. The limitation with these though is that they cannot be formatted or spell checked. That second problem can be overcome though- see <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MacrosVBA/SpellcheckProtectDoc.htm>How to enable the spellchecker in a protected document</A>.

The other way is to put in section breaks where you want the unprotected section to begin (Insert, Break, Continuous). Then Tools, Protect document, click on the forms radio button, and select the "Sections" button. Deselect the section you want unprotected.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I'm not sure that's answering my question, though.
    The problem is that they want all three sections to be protected as forms. They also want two of the sections to be protected as read-only. They want the user to be able to modify the entries in the last section.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

To prevent a user from modifying part of a document while typing in another, you break it into sections. You can do this by inserting continuous section breaks above & below the part you don't want modified. Then when you protect the document, use the menu rather than the toolbar. Choose Tools/Protect Document/ & then click sections. Make sure that the part that you don't want modified is protected AND doesn't have any form fields. Then Word won't allow the cursor to enter that section. Protect with a password, if necessary.

Hope this helps.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

My apologies. I can't quite understand what you're after.

In the first two sections, is there any data to be entered anywere- in form fields or anything? Or is it just text which is not to be modified?

And in the last section- are they just going to fill in certain bits?

My impression of what you're saying is that you can drop in form fields into the last section, and protect the lot for forms- and the user can only fill in the bits where you've put in a form field- as per attached sample.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I apologize for not being clear. Here is what I have:

Section 1 - has form fields; they want authorized users to be able to enter data into these form fields, but have them protected from other users

Section 2 - has form fields; they want all users to be able to enter data into these form fields

Section 3 - has form fields; they want authorized users to be able to enter data into these form fields, but have them protected from other users

What I need to know is if there's a way to have the form fields in Section 2 available to everyone, but have Sections 1 and 3 protected so that only certain people can enter into those form fields?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

OK, I see what you're trying to do.

The main thing you have to be able to do is to figure out whether a user is authorised or not. So you need something first to indentify the user (probably an API call). Then you would have to identify which users have access rights. Maybe that would be with hard coding.

Here's a post <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=wrd&Number=19526&page=& view=&sb=&vc=1#Post19526>which explains how to interrogate a user</A>.

You can set form fields to "enabled=false" which will stop them being used by unauthorised users.