New Lounger
    Thanks

Document name or path not valid

Several times in the last few weeks, I've received Word attachments to E-mails. When I try to open them I get the error message "The document name or path is not valied," and I'm unable to open the file. I am using Word 2000 SR-1 within Office 2000 SR-1, running on Windows 98 2nd edition. The Microsoft Knowledge Base has an article, #Q224016, about this error message, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with my situation. The files in question all come through with their short DOS 8.3 names (e.g. people~1.doc), not their original names. I've been able to work around the problem so far by having people send the files in RFT format, but I've been motivated to dig deeper by hearing about several other associates who are having the same problem.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,

Jon Falk

Thanks

Re: Document name or path not valid

This happens to me in Internet Explorer, but not in Outlook.

I assume that if you right-click the attachment and save it, you can open it from inside Word. Can you open it from My Computer or Windows Explorer?

Is it possible that your mail server has changed or that some kind of filtering server has been introduced? This doesn't seem like the type of problem that should suddenly affect several people at once without any explanation.

New Lounger
    Thanks

No, I can't open it by any route. I can't find a common factor among the several people who have reported this, except perhaps going back and forth between Word 97 and Word 2000, but I'm not even sure of this. It only has happend a few times -- most documents seem to come through fine.

Jon Falk

Thanks

How do you get mail - Exchange, POP3, IMAP?

What do you use for virus scanning?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jon:

Does <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q229/4/26.ASP>Q229426</A> help at all?

New Lounger
    Thanks

It's POP3 mail, and I'm using Norton Antivirus 2000, with E-mail scanning enabled.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil-

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm afraid Q229426 doesn't seem to apply to my situation, since it refers to HTML-formatted documents with Web links in them. All of the files I've had problems with are plain old .doc files, with no links.