Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

AccessSecurity (2000)

Thank you for the help on workgroup set-up. Now for round 2. My database will be on a network drive. I want the security window to appear for anyone that accesses the database. Currently, even though the database and workgroup are on the network drive, anyone can open the database. Do I need to have each person join the workgroup to enable the security. This seems quite laborious. Can I connect the workgroup to an individual database?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: AccessSecurity (2000)

Two ways to do it - make everyone join the correct workgroup using the workgroup administrator, or create a shortcut on each workstation that uses the /wrkgrp command line switch to specify the location of the workgroup. In any event, if you've setup the workgroup file and people can still get at it from their standard local workgroup file, then the database hasn't really been secured. In order to really secure it you need to follow the steps in the Security Wizard very carefully, or you need to read lots of info about security and figure out how exactly to do it. Hans pointed to a good starting point in <post#=203567>post 203567</post#>. Another alternative is to copy the workgroup file to each user's workstation and point them to that local file - you could even replace the standard one with it, but you may want to run other Access applications where the database is not secured. Finally, have you split your database? In 2000 that is highly desirable if you want to make any ongoing design changes, and you will probably want to deploy the front-end to the local workstation as well. Hope this helps.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have completed all steps other than splitting the database. However, when I access my database (which is on a network dirve) from a PC other than mine, I have full access. Shouldn't I receive a message saying that I do no have seucrity access and to see the system administrator?

Thanks, Dale

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It depends on who you are logged into the workgroup as. If you are logged in as a member of Admins you will have full access. If you go to another computer and do not log into the workgroup you are automatically in System.mdw as Admin. If you have not transferred ownership of the database from Admin to another user and removed the rights of Admin you have achieved nothing. The database is not secured.

Check who the database owner is. and make sure it is not Admin

Make sure the workgroup used for security is not called System.mdw

Make sure Admin in the workgroup is not a member of admins and does not have full rights.

(I think this is right, but there may be minor differences between versions)
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

Super Moderator
    Thanks

David is correct. You do have to follow the steps very carefully in the Help in order to secure a database completely. There are some issues you need to be aware of too, as workgroup files can go corrupt, so you either need to keep a backup, or keep very detailed records of who had what user ID and the unique ID associated with them. Let us know if you need further guidance.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

To resolve the issue, I created a new database and imported the objects from the existing datbase. I then removed the "admin" user security. The new database is totally secure. After creating the new database I am able to have full functionality. However, after closing the database and re-opening, I now receive an error when I try to open the switchboard form. The error reads, "The expression On Open you entered as the event property setting produced the following error; Error accessing file. Net connection may have been lost.

any suggestions what to look for

Super Moderator
    Thanks

By chance did you move the Switchboard Items table to the backend? I've seen similar behavior in such situations. I've also seen problems with Switchboard forms in cases where there were .dll problems on a specific PC, but if it worked correctly before you closed out, then it sounds like that could be eliminated.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have not split the database. Also, why is the copied database smaller than the original? It went from 7940KB to 5060KB. Also, of interest; one of the posts I read indicated that the admin users group is not really cleared when cleared through the security tool. When I copied the database, the admin users group in the new database had full security rights, even though I had revoked those rights prior to importing. Anyhow, I have exhausted all of my known options to resolving the switchboard problem [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

Super Moderator
    Thanks

On the security issue, when you import things into an empty database, no permissions are imported. So if a member of the Admins group creates the database, then the group gets full rights. In fact they always do anyhow in my experience. So you have to remove their permissions once you have created the secure copy. Secondly, you must remove all permissions for the Users group - people must always belong to that group. And third, the owner needs to be someone other than Admin. All of this is laid out in detail in the MS White Paper on security.

On the switchboard, try creating a brand new switchboard and see if that solves your problem. But before you do, change the name of the Switchboard Items table to something else. Is it possible that you removed all of the permissions from that table, so it can't be used to drive the Switchboard form?
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

I renamed the switchboard table, but no change. I created a new switchboard, but still receive the same error messsage when I attempt to open the switchboard form; "The expression On Open you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: Error accessing file. Network connection may have been lost."

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The only other possibility I can think of is that the account you are logging in with does not have permission to read the Switchboard Items table. You should be able to verify that by simply opening the table and seeing if it lets you view the entries. I guess another possibility could be that the form isn't viewable or you don't have permission to run the VBA code behind the form. The only other issue I can think is a DLL issue - to test that you would need to move the database to another PC.

As an aside, your database is big enough that you should probably consider splitting it into a front-end / back-end arrangement.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

It appears as though I do not have permission to run the VBA code. I have this permission on the original database. Why would Iose the permission when I copy the database?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Good question??? Can you view the code behind the Switchboard form? In general in Access 2000 anybody can run code if they have permission to view the form. Macros however can be turned on and off. But as I recall the Switchboard is all VBA in Access 2000. So this seems to be a mystery. In any event, try viewing the form in design mode, and then clicking on the toolbar button that lets you view code.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have any of the OXP apps on your computer or any of the other Microsoft 2002 apps? Take a look at MSKB article 304548. That sounds like the error you're getting, and if so, it's caused by the 2002 app installing an updated vbe6.dll that breaks the once installed for Office 2000..
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

The referenced Microsoft bulletin fixed the problem. I installed the latest version of Visio last week. This must be the program that clashed with ACCESS. Thank you all for your assistance.

Dale [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast