Lounger
    Thanks

Replacing Notepad page breaks (Word 97)

I have a project that involves converting a Pathworks .rpt file to Notepad or Wordpad and then converting the result to MS Word. Converting from Pathworks to Word direct does not appear to work.
    I am trying to find some code that will automatically replace the Notepad page breaks with Word page breaks. Otherwise I have to delete specific lines and insert the breaks which is a real chore as I have a ton of reports to process.
    Any bright ideas would be appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Replacing Notepad page breaks (Word 97)

I assume that by Pathworks you mean the OpenVMS file server, and that the form feeds are created on an OpenVMS system, in which case they are ASCII character 12 - exactly as they would be in Word.

I just created a short document on an OpenVMS system, with a few form feeds, and used pathworks to transfer it to my PC. When I opened it in Word the form feeds came out correctly. When I opened the same document in Notepad, the formfeeds appeared as squares, but saving in notepad and then opening in Word showed them correctly as form feeds again.

Could you post an attachment with a short excerpt from one of your problem documents?

StuartR

Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart,
    Yes, your assumptions are correct . I am able to access the pathworks files through a fileshare on the net work.
    Unfortunately I cannot attach a sample file because the Lounge does not accept .rpt files.
    The problem I had opening the file in word was that the layout was lost. That is why I went the pathworks route.

Thanks

You can upload a file with a disallowed extension in one of the following ways:

1. <LI>Use a zip program (e.g., WinZip) to create a zip archive and post that. Requires interested parties to have such a program.

<LI>Embed the file in a Word document (it will appear as an icon) and then upload that. Readers have to choose the program to use to open it if there is not an existing association on their machine, so note in the document which program to use. (This dialog takes a really long time to populate on my computer.)

<LI>If the contents of the file are plain text, change the extension to .txt and then upload. Because IE may not display the text nicely (e.g., incorrect word wrap, spacing, etc.), users may need to right-click and save to a local drive in order to open in Notepad.
    The first option is best if everyone has a zip reader.