Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Conversion to NTFS (XP SR1)

I have recently upgraded from 98 to XP and I notice that I'm still using the FAT32 format. There is a conversion utility that supposedly converts to NTFS, and the system help file recommends using NTFS. However, I'm a bit nervous about running the conversion. Has anyone tried this and had it run successfully? Any recommendations/cautions/warnings here?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Conversion to NTFS (XP SR1)

Hi Chuck,

This is a Lounge favorite (at least in the Windows forums). My personal opinion is that converting isn't necessary. Additionally, what Microsoft doesn't tell you about it is that converting from FAT32 to NTFS typically creates a messy NTFS file system. NTFS uses more overhead, but is more stable - but part of that overhead entails components like the MFT (Master File Table) and many others, which are nearly always fragmented to smithereens upon conversion. If you were freshly installing XP, it would be a more viable choice. If you convert, you won't likely see any tangible benefits unless you need the additional security it provides.

Everyone that visits the Lounge has an opinion on this issue; it's like politics and religion - try this search for starters, and there is a good detailed information on file systems at NTFS.com. Lastly...another good read is available here.
    -Mark

Super Moderator
    Thanks

First question why do you feel you NEED to use NTFS?
    For the normal home users I have NOT seen a real need, but I have seen where this has provided a lot of different issues for the home user.

Remember that it is a one way trip, and would have to format your hard drive and do a clean install if wanted to go back to fat32.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to everyone. I really have no reason for additional security as I'm running only my own system at home. Also, I have a 10Gig HD, so it seems rather prudent to leave my system running FAT 32.