Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recycle Bin (XP pro SR-1)

Is there anyway to select the amount of space reserved on each drive other than the slider in the recycle bin properties. The smallest amount you can reserve this way is 1%. On a 70 gig partition this reserves 700 mb. I would like to have 50 mb reserved on each drive. I never leave items in the bin more than one day. A registry hack perhaps? Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Recycle Bin (XP pro SR-1)

I did a little digging, as this is an interesting question. It doesn't look as though you can specify anything but a percentage of a partition. The settings are controlled via this registry key:
    <UL>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionExplorerBitBucketC[/list]There is an entry for each drive letter here, with a DWORD Value named Percent. Since it's a decimal representation of the percentage, I don't know how you'd successfully change it to a specific size in KB/MB. Granted, I'm checking on a Windows 2000 system, but it's similar across all platforms, so I don't expect that would be any different on an XP system. In theory, you could derive the hex equivalent of the desired value, but there surely isn't a simple way.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wylly,
    Thank you for your response. I went to that key and tried to change it to an amount smaller than 1 percent such at .07 percent. It won't let me. If was worth a try. I did notice that the recycle bin doesn't actually use up 1 percent of each drive. It can grow to that amount if used so it should be ok.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You guys have stimulated a question in my mind. Although not quite as "aggressive" as you, I empty my Recycle Bin weekly just prior to running my Drive Image backups. But, a long time ago I set the Bin to separate 5% settings for each partition and I don't even remember what motivated me to do that. I don't see anything in Help that says it "reserves" the specified amount of space, meaning that it would prevent that space from being used. When you said that it "doesn't actually use...." is that something you've tested? I'm wondering if I should go back to a global setting and be done with it. The only reason I never did make the percentage smaller is that Help DOES say that if there isn't room in the Recycle Bin when you delete a file, the file will be permanently deleted. What's the consensus on this topic?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Al,

I don't know what the consensus is, but my approach is that if I don't have enough room for the recycle bin then it's time to buy bigger disks.

The cost of storage has come down almost as fast as the capacity has gone up and there is very little reason for running low on disk space nowadays.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that, Stuart. Yeah, I've got three drives in this machine of decent size, so I'm not at all concerned with total space. I'm wondering about the setting of the Recycle Bin as global vs. individual and I should have explained a tad more. On my three drives, I've got SIX partitions - one for storage of downloaded software, another for my swap file and a third to emulate my web site. One or two of those partitions are, like 2 gig, 4 gig and so on. As I said, I can't remember what prompted me to set the Bin on each drive, but if my 4 gig web site partition got a little cramped, could the Recycle Bin cause me a problem? Not a terribly important question in the grand scheme of things, but a wondering none the less.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

From my decidedly un-scientific experiment, it doesn't seem to matter what your settings are - it doesn't alter your available space. Meaning, if you change the percentage allocated to the bin and watch your free space, it stays static. If it were allocated I would think that would change. However, emptying the bin does change your free space count. I don't know how Windows handles it if you start to pinch the bin with data, but as Stuart noted....if you don't have room for the Bin, you have a need for larger media. Not to mention one should have aroun 15% free space on a partition anyway, as working space.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well that was interesting but you are all right. It doesn't matter how large you set the bin it only uses as much space as your deleted documents + a small amount of overhead. When you do overfill the bin you do get a chance to change your mind. You are told the bin is full do you want to permanently delete the document? I guess I should have checked the size of the recycle bin on each disk before posting.