Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

visible code (word97sr2)

I'd always thought that Word did a nice job of tokenising code, especially when a template is password-protected.

Attached is a slightly incriminating chunk (DOS window, List, Edit/Mark/Copy) of stuff from a password-protected project held as a Word97SR2 document.

Clearly the author is up to no good ("FileSearch" and "Kill" are two clues).

It seems to me that even a password-protected project isn't secure from prying eyes.

By The way, I'm guessing that the password is "StalyBridge", not because the password is visible, but that seems to be a chosen string based on a personal choice.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Re: visible code (word97sr2)

I saved some simple Word 2000 code both unprotected and protected, and I could not find my password (SECRET) in a dump of the protected file. However, I do not have particularly sophisticated tools: I tried Word's Recover Text... filter, DOS debug (too many K!), and DOS edit.

But the fastest way I found to crack the protection was to open the document in StarOffice, then choose Tools|Macro..., highlight Module1 in the tree diagram, and click Edit. See attached. Did someone already mention this problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry that I mentioned the password (grin!).

I was more disturbed at my ability to read the "VBA" language right there in a protected template.

Amongst other things, it seems to provide a determined code sleuth with a fair amount of ammunition towards decoding what a locked template does.

In the case of the template I examined, seeing "File Object" and "Kill" so close together caused me concerns.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Jeffesron, I'd forgotten your post when I was thinking, again, this morning, but saw it again when I logged on.

My thoughts were the difference between password-protecting a Word Document (the text contents) and password-protecting the VBA code within.

My initial view, using List.COM suggests that the VBA source code isn't very well protected at all, unlike document text where the text is scrambled. Thus the VBA code ought to be accessible merely by flipping a bit, or two. Your foray into Star office seems to bear this out.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Chris, I had almost forgotten <!post=Vern Buerg's List.com,208226>Vern Buerg's List.com<!/post>. Thanks for the reminder.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS