Lounger
    Thanks

Missing Program Files Icons (XP SP1)

One of our users has lost everything in the Program Files folder. Of course he didn't call me until at least two "other experts" had tried several repairs. By the time I saw his system he was in Classic Start view mode, and he said the "other expert" made some attempts at getting his program files back and indeed some were there now. (But of course he couldn't say what they did!) The problem is most are still missing.

OK, didn't seem like a big deal. Just do a system restore to a few days prior.

Well guess what's missing? That's right. StartAll ProgramsaccessoriesSystem Tool. . .and it's empty. Can't
    do a restore because there is nothing to click on.

Everything else seems to be working OK. Shortcuts on his desktop to Word, Excel, Outlook, etc., all work fine. Just icons on the start menu seem to be missing.

Over the past year that I've been using XP, I've seen some other really weird behavior, but this takes 1st place for now. Any thoughts?

Mike Hayes

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Missing Program Files Icons (XP SP1)

You will find that most of these entries are listed in the "Alluser" account "cocuments and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuPrograms", start menu. If some one moved or deleted them from there, you may need to add them back by hand. I have seen them moved to a user account which makes them NOT there for the other accounts.

Have a look at the different "Cocuments and Settings'USERACCOUNTS'Start MenuPrograms" and see what is listed where.

Also do a "File Search" on "Programs" and see where the folder may have been dragged. New users have been known to left click and drag through the menu in lew of just "moving" the mouse through the menu.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Missing Program Files Icons (XP SP1)

Although Dave's suggestion was a good one since it was on a laptop, it did not turn out to be the answer. I did spend a fair amount of time comparing side-by-side the laptop in question and a good working one for most folders under Documents And Settings.

Since most what I expected was there I resorted to running the restore utility by navigating to the System32 folder with Explorer and double-clicking it. The familiar window came up and I was able to go back two weeks to a known good time. That did it. All the folders and icons are back.

Of course, this led to another quirk. We use Xcopy to copy the folder My Documents to the server as data backup for all laptop users that travel. A simple batch file that that runs on login verifies who the user is and then Xcopy copies the My Documents folder contents using the "/D" switch. At least it did before this XP quirk. Now, on his laptop, Xcopy no longer is comparing the source and target by date. It wants to copy all files and asks for "overwrite" permission for files. (Keep in mind we use this exact process for 45 other laptop users, AND, it worked here before the Registry quirk. Since XP doesn't have a file checker I guess I'll have to resort to copying selected files over manually to attempt to fix Xcopy. I've searched MS Support and the WEB in general and find nothing. Maybe some of you have a thought?

Despite my new found love with an OS based on the NT kernal, I am finding more and more that XP has some really strange quirks. (This being just another one. I've got a XP-Pro system that without any pattern so far, any running application just vanishes. No symptom, no error. Just gone. Restart the ap and it's OK) Of course it still beats rebooting several times a day!

Mike Hayes