Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Blocked FTP (Version 2002)

Friday a week ago I found I could not FTP into Charter.Net where I have two webpages, mine and a friends that I update. I can get into other webpages on other systems without any problem. I have XP Home and am on cable through a modem. Charter thinks it is a DSL problem. I have had Norton to check my computer for viruses and they found none. Any ideas?
    RH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Blocked FTP (Version 2002)

The only time I've ever had FTP problems with my web host(s) was one time when the host decided to "upgrade" their system and something got screwed up. You might check with Charter.Net and see if anything has happened on THEIR end. It could be something as simple as them resetting your FTP password and you don't know about it. With my host, there is a Control Panel I can log in with to change my own email pseudo accounts and even create and delete my FTP account(s). Does Charter.Net have such a control panel? (I think it's a function of a Win 2000 server)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

do you have the winxp firewall enabled and ftp ports blocked?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. If Charter has one, I have not found it. I'll talk to their tech rep and see what he says. I'm supposed to call him back if it is not repaired this weekend. Also, thanks to the other post writer. I checked and the FTP is checked.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I would second MaryJ's message and check firewall settings. I use ZoneAlarmPro, and when I have the Internet Zone set to high security, I can't FTP to my own web site. I change it to medium security when necessary, and then change it back to High when I am done with FTP.

Fafner

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We tried turning off the firewall altogether. It still didn't work. But thanks for your help.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bigaldoc:
    Talked with the Charter,Net tech last night. We accidently lucked upon the problem. The IP address for Charter's webpages is 209.225.8.65. However, when I type in webpages.charter.net/login in FTP and IE6 Browser, it goes to 209.255.8.65. We have typed in ipconfig /flushdns and it says it does, but it doesn't. I had to leave for a meeting after about an hour of testing without success. Tonight we will try again. When I got home last night I tried going back as far as possible to restore, but could not go back far enough. The trouble began Friday a week ago. Any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>...when I type in webpages.charter.net/login in FTP and IE6 Browser, it goes to 209.255.8.65<hr>
    What do you mean by "FTP" above? What FTP client software are you using? I tried to type in each of the IP addresses in my Mozilla browser as well as the webpages.charter.net/login address. I fully expected to get bounced because I'm not authorized. However, on the CORRECT address (IP number) I got a 404 Not Found Message and on the INCORRECT address (IP number) I received a "...connection refused" message. Funny thing is, if I enter the webpages.charter.net/login it DOES allow me to reach an FTP page, the only link being "Parent Directory." If I click that I also get the 404 message.

It seems to me that if you use some client software with "traditional" fields, you should be able to create a logon entry using assigned username, password and IP address. Other than that, I dunno.....

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bigaldoc:
    I use WS_FTP to FTP. In the IP address line I put "webpages.charter.net". In the login part I put my login and then right under it is a place for my password. When I hit "OK" it will begin trying to make contact. There is a section which tells me what is going on. It states, "Connecting with 209.255.8.65..." However, it finally comes back and tells me the host blocked me. The actual IP address is 209.225.8.65 not "255." When I try to FTP through my browser, I put ftp://loginassword@webpages.charter.net in the address line. In the line at the bottom it states that it is connecting with 209.255.8.65 which is the incorrect address. When I go to DOS and type in ipconfig /displaydns it gives me a menu showing webpages.charter.net with an address of 209.255.8.65 rather than the actual 209.225.8.65 address. I have given an ipconfig /flushdns command but although it says it has, it doesn't. I keep thinking that there must be some way to flush this number out of my system without formatting the harddrive and starting all over again. Oh, I hate that!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try changing the FTP logon to the ACTUAL IP address, rather than the DNS name and see what happens.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Do you have a hosts or lmhosts file with webpages.charter.net in it?

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ya know, you may be right, Joe. I don't know where White-Collar is, he hasn't posted back for a few days, but when I saw your post, I did a NeoTrace on "webpages.charter.net" and it leads to the CORRECT IP address he stated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry folks, I've been out of town. I have tried putting the numbers 209.225.8.65 in the FTP address and guess what? I can NOW get into my personal webpage and download and upload files. However, although I can get into our church files and transfer them from Charter to my computer, it refuses to allow me to upload anything. Blocks me out. Yes, by going to the DOS menu and typing in "ipconfig /displaydns" it will show me "pop.charter.net" as "A (Host) Record." It no longer shows "webpages.charter.net." The incorrect numbers are no longer there. Yet, neither here on my personal computer or the one at the church building will allow me to upload files to the church's account. I've flushed the files there, but it didn't change anything.

white_collar

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What do you mean by church files? Does your church have a separate web host account? If so, the IP number should be different. If your church files are on the SAME ftp (web host) account, but in different directories, I'd say you have a "permissions" problem or security issue of some kind with the web host. More info would help.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My personal webpage address is: webpages.charter.net/rayhawk. I also do the webpage for the church. The address is: webpages.charter.net/churchofchrist. The login address is different for each, but I use the same password.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast