New Lounger
    Thanks

Page numbering in fields (Excel 97)

Is it possible to insert page numbering into a field of a worksheet? I want to be able to select an area to be printed at the top of each page (not a header) that will automatically show Page # of #. Excel help doesn't seem to have any answers.

TIA

Jason

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Page numbering in fields (Excel 97)

Hi Jason,

From the Excel (2000) help file:
    <hr>Excel prints page numbers only if you include page numbers in the header or footer.<hr>

The only way around this is to put the page numbers into specified cells, via the keyboard, a formula or a macro. The problem with this is that the cells you choose won't necessarily remain in the right places later on, due to changes in worksheet layout.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks

NOt exactly sure what you are after:
    I am assuming you want to use a top border to repeat multiple lines at the top of each worksheet and that you would like this border to include a page number.

This can be don using a border AND a header. Leave the place "open" in the border and have the header margins and page margins set so that the header overlaps into the border and is placed where you want it.

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

The cell I want to put the numbering in will never move. How do I put it in as a formula (really new to this) or macro? Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Jason,
    This is starting to sound like you want to have different page numbers in the same cell on multiple pages. It's really not practical to try to change the number of that cell for each printed page. Steve's suggestion, of overlapping the worksheet Header with the first row or two, is by far the easiest way of producing the effect you're after. Otherwise you'd need a fairly complex macro to intercept print jobs to get much the same result.

Had the numbering been required in row x*a of every y*b columns, that would be another matter. Such a result could readily be achieved with formulae in those cells.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think that Steves idea will work in my situation. The header overlap would be to great and may interfere with the rest of the print (maybe). I will see if I can explain what I want a little better. I have a bunch of rows at the top of the spreadsheet (20 in all. A1:AK20 ) that I want to print on every page. Cell A8 is the cell that I would like a formula in so that when it is printed on each page the page number will change. I was hoping that putting something like "&Page of &Pages" would be sufficient. If this isn't possible I will give Steves idea a try (with a bit more info).

Thanks again

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Jason,
    Take a look at the attached. This small demo has the header overlapping the data, so that (on my system at least) the page numbers print at row 8.
    Cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for that. It looks like it might work. Just have to make sure that nobody changes the template.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Further to this, for Jasons' benefit, look at Page Setup (attached) and you'll see how you can set the header to be below the "Rows at Top", just as Steve suggested (your settings will vary with your printer).

BTW, you can't programatically stuff all the text from the first 20 rows in any header field unless there are 255 characters or less.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi John,
    That's pretty much the solution I posted for Jason in the attachment to my last reply. Even if you set a number of rows to repeat, the overlaid header will put the required page numbering on the 8th row of each page.
    Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

I sort of gather that you can't stuff 20 rows of stuff into the header. Thats why I was trying to do it the other way, putting the page numbering into a cell.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, actually you -can- put 20 rows into a header, so long as you don't go over 255 chars!
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thats what I meant. Couple of thousand characters and a picture in this 20 rows.