Star Lounger
    Thanks

Extra Network Connections (XP Pro SR1)

Okay, this is really weird. Just yesterday I restarted my computer and it took about 10-15 min. to boot. I checked the hardware listings and under Network adapters a bunch of stuff shows up in addition to my 3com Etherlink 10/100 pci tx nic (3c905b-tx). These items include 3com Etherlink 10/100 pci tx nic (3c905b-tx)-mini port, Direct Parallel, WAN Miniport (IP), WAN Miniport (IP) - Packet Scheduler Miniport, WAN Miniport (P2TP), WAN Miniport (PPPOE) and WAN Miniport (PPTP). These items cannot be uninstalled. BUT if I disable them and then enable them they disappear. Also, as long as the 3com Etherlink- Mini Port one is showing (even disabled) I have no network connection. If I disable it and enable it again I have my connection back BUT they all come back the next time I boot. Under my Main Administrator account they do not show up. If I create a new user account they are there. This is driving me nuts. HELP

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Extra Network Connections (XP Pro SR1)

What you are seeing in the network adapters is quite normal. These are normally hidden devices which is why you don't see them. Device Manager doesn't show you everything; there are hidden items - more for your own protection I believe but who knows. You can tell Device Manager to show hidden devices by default - if you're interested in details post back.

Don't uninstall any of them, disable them if you don't think they need to be there. Some folks disable them for security, so that unneeded network protocols can't be used. I personally don't bother, because a good firewall takes care of that issue for you.

Why do you suspect these as the cause for a ten to fifteen minute boot time? Although it's certainly possible, it sounds more likely that CHKDSK was running at startup and was scanning your drives for errors. Is the long boot time consistent? If so, there are other ways to track this down, but unless you have a specific reason to blame the network protocols, let's not start there.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

well okay, I have disabled all of them except the orginal 3com nic. the 3com nic driver -miniport disappeard on its own. Everything ok until last night and I had a very long start time again. It was after a freeze and having to turn off the computer. chkdisk could be running but it usually tells you it is running. My computer just freezes on the log in screen then finally starts again. I am not sure what is causing this. Thinking about format and reistal on c drive. Its been over a year since I installed win xp. Just a thought.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I found the problem. I checked hidden devices and my Hard drives were listed three times. I had recently moved them to an IDE PCI controler card. I deleted all the phantom drives and the phantom storage devices and now I start normally. No re-install necessary. Thanks for the help. I posted another question but never got an answer. Is there any way to change the amount of space reserved on each partition in the recycle bin beside the slider. The lowest this goes is 1% and on a 70 gig partittion this reserves 700 Meg for the recycle bin. I need no more than 50 meg. Just wondere if there was a registry hack to change these to exact amounts.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

disregard that last about the other question Wylly did respond. With thanks.