Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Shortcut from StartUp to template (Word97SR2)

I recently discovered a time-saving feature for my use of Templates in the Start up folder.

I have several applications which are continually updated and improved, and my past process of "releasing" them to myself has been to make copies from the development folders and place the copies in the MS Word Start up folder.

Recently I discovered that I could place a shortcut to the template(s) in the Start up Folder.

A) less time copying 200K files across

[img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] The template being referenced from the Start up folder is my latest development model. If I want to fix a bug, I don't go through the entire process of (1) editing the development model (2) copying it (3) pasting it to the Start up folder.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shortcut from StartUp to template (Word97SR2)

I used to do this ... but found another system I like better. I copy templates to the startup folder using the network logon script. This gives all of my users the latest/updated tools, but I can edit them as needed without the files being in use.

I use this technique for the workgroup templates as well. Two benefits to this are that files are not in use if I need to edit them and my notebook users have the global and workgroup templates available to them whether on the network or not. I set the workgroup file location to something like c:templates and use xcopy with the /d switch to copy only newer files

Following are two sample lines from a logon script. The Windows help file does a good job explaining all of the switches.
    xcopy "servertemplatesglobal templatesglobal.dot" "%APPDATA%microsoftwordstartup" /c /y
    xcopy "servertemplatesworkgroup templates*.*" c:templates /s /q /i /C /y /d

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shortcut from StartUp to template (Word97SR2)

Indeed that is also an option. I