4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

substitute formula (excel xp)

I have this formula in A20

=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(IF(ISNONTEXT((F2 1)),(F21),(F21)&IF(NOW(),"",)),"I",""),"J",""),"K" ,"")

When F21 is blank the formula returns a blank. My problem is that i link to this cell, A20, from another worksheet and it gives me a #NA error instead of a blank cell. I don't know why. I've tried (ISNUMBER ... also instead of ISNONTEXT but both give the same result.

thanks

Thanks

Re: substitute formula (excel xp)

How about ISERROR?

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks

If cell F21 is NOT text, the result is A20. If A20 is blank it gives a null string, if it is the number 10, the result of the function is the number 10. If A20 is NA#, the result will be NA#.

You need another IF to check for errors:

=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(IF(ISNONTEXT((F2 1)),IF(ISERROR(F21),"",F21),(F21)&IF(NOW(),"",))," I",""),"J",""),"K","")

Steve

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This pesty #N/A is back to haunt me.

=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(IF(ISNONTEXT((F2 1)),IF(ISERROR(F21),"",F21),(F21)&IF(NOW(),"",))," I",""),"J",""),"K","") this formula is in AF21. F21 is blank.

i then refer to AF21 on another worksheet which is giving me the #N/A. When i change AF21 to blank, i just delete the formula, then the reference on the other worksheet becomes blank and the #N/A disappear.

I don't know what else i can do to get this to work.

This is the cell, f1038, that is showing the #N/A

=IF(ISNUMBER(onedown(E1038)),onedown(E1038),IF(ISB LANK(onedown(E1038)),"",LOOKUP(LEFT(onedown(E1038) ,1),LimMoMac.xls!BBW)&IF(LEN(onedown(E1038))>1,CHA R(44)&LOOKUP(MID(onedown(E1038),2,1),LimMoMac.xls! BBW),"")&IF(LEN(onedown(E1038))>2,CHAR(44)&LOOKUP( MID(onedown(E1038),3,1),LimMoMac.xls!BBW),"")&IF(L EN(onedown(E1038))>3,CHAR(44)&LOOKUP(MID(onedown(E 1038),4,1),LimMoMac.xls!BBW),"")&IF(LEN(onedown(E1 038))>4,CHAR(44)&LOOKUP(MID(onedown(E1038),5,1),Li mMoMac.xls!BBW),"")&IF(LEN(onedown(E1038))>5,CHAR( 44)&LOOKUP(MID(onedown(E1038),6,1),LimMoMac.xls!BB W),"")&IF(LEN(onedown(E1038))>6,CHAR(44)&LOOKUP(MI D(onedown(E1038),7,1),LimMoMac.xls!BBW),"")&IF(LEN (onedown(E1038))>7,CHAR(44)&LOOKUP(MID(onedown(E10 38),8,1),LimMoMac.xls!BBW),"")&IF(LEN(onedown(E103 8))>8,CHAR(44)&LOOKUP(MID(onedown(E1038),9,1),LimM oMac.xls!BBW),"")&IF(LEN(onedown(E1038))>9,CHAR(44 )&LOOKUP(MID(onedown(E1038),10,1),LimMoMac.xls!BBW ),"")&IF(LEN(onedown(E1038))>10,CHAR(44)&LOOKUP(MI D(onedown(E1038),11,1),LimMoMac.xls!BBW),IF(NOW()< >0,"",""))))

the onedown function looks at one column to the left's formula and goes one down from that worksheet and cell.

Public Function OneDown(oCell As Range) As Variant
    Dim strSName As String
    Dim strCAdd As String

strSName = Mid(oCell.Formula, 2, InStr(oCell.Formula, "!") - 2)
    strCAdd = Right(oCell.Formula, Len(oCell.Formula) - InStr(oCell.Formula, "!"))
    OneDown = Worksheets(strSName).Range(strCAdd).Offset(1, 0).Value

End Function

Thank you for your help.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi jha,
    Let's try simplifying things a bit.

Firstly, change:
    =SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(IF(ISNONTEXT((F2 1)),IF(ISERROR(F21),"",F21),(F21)&IF(NOW(),"",))," I",""),"J",""),"K","")
    to
    =SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(F21,"I",""),"J", ""),"K","")
    That should result in F21 being returned unchanged if it has a number, is empty, or doesn't have I, J or K, and with I, J and K omitted otherwise. I haven't bothered testing for a number in this statement, since your long formula does that and looks like it's intended to retain numbers. If it's not, let me know.

Next, replace
    IF(NOW()<>0,"","")
    in the long formula with
    ""

Finally, make the UDF volatile, so that it will recalculate any time there's a change to a cell. You do this by adding the statement:
    Application.Volatile
    to, say, the empty 4th line, thus-

Dim strSName As String
    Dim strCAdd As String
    Application.Volatile
    End Function

This get's rid of the need for NOW() statements in your formulae to force the UDF to recalculate.

Finally, check that all of the values appearing in E1038 are in your lookup table.

If, after making the above changes, you're still having problems, try posting a copy of the offending workbook - makes it much easier to diagnose.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the help. I tried to post an example but its over 2 mg and i can't get it any smaller. The onedown function or something seems to make it too big.

Anyway, i am still getting the n/a error. I changed the substitute to...

=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(F21,"I",""),"J", ""),"K","")
    and i added application.volate to my function

All the values in the lookup are used.

This is where i'm getting the error
    BB 93 A,CE,H,L,O,BS,VS
    CE 49 H,L,O
    O 27 H,L
    H 13 L
    BS 56 A,CE,H,L,O
    A 46 H,L,O
    L 6 #N/A
    VS 59 A,CE,H,L,O

This is the formula in the #N/a cell

=IF(ISNUMBER(onedown(B9)),onedown(B9),IF(ISBLANK(o nedown(B9)),"",LOOKUP(LEFT(onedown(B9),1),w2.xls!B BW)&IF(LEN(onedown(B9))>1,CHAR(44)&LOOKUP(MID(oned own(B9),2,1),w2.xls!BBW),"")&IF(LEN(onedown(B9))>2 ,CHAR(44)&LOOKUP(MID(onedown(B9),3,1),w2.xls!BBW), "")&IF(LEN(onedown(B9))>3,CHAR(44)&LOOKUP(MID(oned own(B9),4,1),w2.xls!BBW),"")&IF(LEN(onedown(B9))>4 ,CHAR(44)&LOOKUP(MID(onedown(B9),5,1),w2.xls!BBW), "")&IF(LEN(onedown(B9))>5,CHAR(44)&LOOKUP(MID(oned own(B9),6,1),w2.xls!BBW),"")&IF(LEN(onedown(B9))>6 ,CHAR(44)&LOOKUP(MID(onedown(B9),7,1),w2.xls!BBW), "")&IF(LEN(onedown(B9))>7,CHAR(44)&LOOKUP(MID(oned own(B9),8,1),w2.xls!BBW),"")&IF(LEN(onedown(B9))>8 ,CHAR(44)&LOOKUP(MID(onedown(B9),9,1),w2.xls!BBW), "")&IF(LEN(onedown(B9))>9,CHAR(44)&LOOKUP(MID(oned own(B9),10,1),w2.xls!BBW),"")&IF(LEN(onedown(B9))> 10,CHAR(44)&LOOKUP(MID(onedown(B9),11,1),w2.xls!BB W),IF(NOW()<>0,"",""))))

The cell to the left has this formula...

=csv!$AF$20

This is the "csv" sheet
    AF20
    TB 93 46 49 13 6
    BCDEFGH DEF DEF E
    Pur 82 17 32 4 3
    BCDEFGH DEF BDEF
    Pur Consid 66 15 18 3 3
    BCDEFGH DEF DEF

AF20 has a 6 in it and a blank cell at AF21.

This is the onedown function...

Dim strSName As String
    Dim strCAdd As String

Application.Volatile

End Function

for now i am putting conditional formatting and turning the cell white if there is an #n/a error. it's all i could think of for now. thank you for your continued help.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi jha,

Just a thought: check whether the source record for the cell giving the N/A error has a space character in it. If the cell looks blank, maybe it's actually just got a space in it. It it's got other characters, maybe there's at space at either end. If this is something that your source data is susceptible to, another change to the substitute string should fix it:
    =SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(F21," I",""),"J",""),"K","")," ","")

Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

PS: I can't really work with the data in your post, since the relationships and column/row locations aren't clear.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]